Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 32 years

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Exactly the same thing they told me. So I lived like I'd be dead at 40... and given some if the shit I did, I probably should have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    same as me, i livbed life period, and of course nowadays being over 40, everythings a plus
    Congrats. Bruce!

Interesting that you two were told you'd be lucky to see 40.

In the UK 30 odd years ago they were brutal when it came to giving you your long term prognosis, "what you've got after three years is what you'll have to live with, forget cures, now get your arse out there and make a life!" but they never mentioned falling off the perch at forty.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    Congrats. Bruce!

Interesting that you two were told you'd be lucky to see 40.

In the UK 30 odd years ago they were brutal when it came to giving you your long term prognosis, "what you've got after three years is what you'll have to live with, forget cures, now get your arse out there and make a life!" but they never mentioned falling off the perch at forty.
    we both was at the same rehab, different times though
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Nobody told me anything like that, but in reallity they did not tell me anything at all. They talk to my parents and my father did not remember anything and my mother got early Alzheimer so I don't have one idea what they expected. But the quads I met 40 years ago are dead and all the paras are alive. The quads died from kidney trouble after short time or from bleeding in the brain. Only one quad is alive and she is more than 50 years post and is still living at the SCI hospital. And one died a few years ago but I don't know the reason.

I have never thought I would die earlier than other people, maybe I have been naiv.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Banned
    Very interesting topic for me. I am new to Care Cure, but not to SCI. I was hit by a car on my birthday, July 4, 1969. It was my first ride on my brand new Schwinn bike. Bright red, with a bell and multi-colored fringe on the handles. First brand new bike for any of us kids, and I was on a cruise. No training wheels either. I wish I could remember some of that ride.

The woman who lived across the street backed out of her driveway just as I rounded the corner, and the rest , as they say, is history.

We lived in a small town, financially depressed after an 8 month strike in the Mines. No neurosurgeons, but my doc was used to patching miners up who had been caught in rockslides.

I spent weeks on a rotating bed with tongs holding my head straight. I remember being so hot, and asking for them to put ice on my head. I can never forget how sad my parents were, and how nice my sisters and brother were being to me. I had a lot of internal injuries that needed surgeries so I was in the hospital about 9 months. I was spoiled rotten by the nurses and nurses aides (hence the nick name)

When I went home they gave me an E&J wheelchair that had the big wheel in the front because they didn't think I would be leaving the house. I couldn't go back to school because the classroom was on the third floor, and there was the problem of accidents. My mom , God love her, went to the school board and they rigged up a speaker system so I could participate in classroom activities. To a point.

I don't know exactly what the doctor told my parents, but after a few months of watching me like I was going to croak, they realized that I was probably going to stick around for a while, so they started making things that helped me do what I could. There was no rehab around here, but my Mom started writing to other mothers and they shared ideas with each other. She and her "pen pals" were their own support group. When I graduated from Law School, three of them came from all over the states to be with her.

I have been very lucky in life. I am married to an exceptional woman, and we have 3 children. We are waiting to become grandparents. My beautiful sister and her husband passed away, and left 6 amazing children who have let us share in their lives.

Nothing about SCI has been easy, but I look back and I think you didn't do too badly , you old goat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brat View Post
    Very interesting topic for me. I am new to Care Cure, but not to SCI. I was hit by a car on my birthday, July 4, 1969. It was my first ride on my brand new Schwinn bike. Bright red, with a bell and multi-colored fringe on the handles. First brand new bike for any of us kids, and I was on a cruise. No training wheels either. I wish I could remember some of that ride.

The woman who lived across the street backed out of her driveway just as I rounded the corner, and the rest , as they say, is history.

We lived in a small town, financially depressed after an 8 month strike in the Mines. No neurosurgeons, but my doc was used to patching miners up who had been caught in rockslides.

I spent weeks on a rotating bed with tongs holding my head straight. I remember being so hot, and asking for them to put ice on my head. I can never forget how sad my parents were, and how nice my sisters and brother were being to me. I had a lot of internal injuries that needed surgeries so I was in the hospital about 9 months. I was spoiled rotten by the nurses and nurses aides (hence the nick name)

When I went home they gave me an E&J wheelchair that had the big wheel in the front because they didn't think I would be leaving the house. I couldn't go back to school because the classroom was on the third floor, and there was the problem of accidents. My mom , God love her, went to the school board and they rigged up a speaker system so I could participate in classroom activities. To a point.

I don't know exactly what the doctor told my parents, but after a few months of watching me like I was going to croak, they realized that I was probably going to stick around for a while, so they started making things that helped me do what I could. There was no rehab around here, but my Mom started writing to other mothers and they shared ideas with each other. She and her "pen pals" were their own support group. When I graduated from Law School, three of them came from all over the states to be with her.

I have been very lucky in life. I am married to an exceptional woman, and we have 3 children. We are waiting to become grandparents. My beautiful sister and her husband passed away, and left 6 amazing children who have let us share in their lives.

Nothing about SCI has been easy, but I look back and I think you didn't do too badly , you old goat.
    Thanks for writing, I enjoyed reading your post!

Welcome to CareCure, and thanks for sharing your story. I love the line "Nothing about SCI has been easy, but I look back and I think you didn't do too badly, you old goat." There's a lot of love in your story, too.

If you don't mind my asking, would you be Mark's uncle?

Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Thanks for writing, I enjoyed reading your post!
    x2 - Welcome Brian.

Banned
    "If you don't mind my asking, would you be Mark's uncle?"

------------------------------------------------------------------

That depends. Would that be a good thing? Or a bad thing?

Yes Mark is my nephew, and he has been telling me for months that I should join up.

Thank you all for the welcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    all i can tell everyone is, immediately head to your front door, open, go out, shut door, and take off for several hours, even if destination unknown!
    This was excellent advice ... I went out today and the sky was perfectly blue, the sun was full out, it was t-shirt and hoodie weather and I sat at the park with my cat after taking her to the vet, sipping on an iced cappucino while her ears perked at the sounds of seagulls overhead. Even saw a few 'mini-bergs' at the mouth of Lake St Clair (where it enters the Detroit River, near Belle Isle). And my first swans in the wild! Doesn't get much better than that!

(And Welcome to CareCure, Brian).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

That would be a good thing Brian Welcome, glad you signed up. I went to high school in Anaconda.
    "If you don't mind my asking, would you be Mark's uncle?"

------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes Mark is my nephew, and he has been telling me for months that I should join up.

Thank you all for the welcomes.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!