Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 32 years

32 years

Damn, was in a great mood today, and then saw a memo here at work with March 5th on it, knew something was weird about that date, and then it hit me, 32 years ago, 3/5/78 was my car accident.
    had to go outside and smoke a ciggarette, lots of weird thoughts still going on
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Well...congratulations, sorta.

Personally I would have lit up and stayed at my desk in honor of 1978 and how things used to be back then.

btw - you ARE old.

Do you think it gets more difficult as you get older? I hit my 25th anniversary this summer and am 37yrs of age.

I'm thinking it was easier when I was in my teens and twenties and always had something else to occupy me .. but I own my home, have a job, no family etc etc ... and it seems like all I have to do is sit around and think about how no matter what I do or accomplish .. I could never make amends with paralysis.

Am I the odd person out here?

32 years is quite a long time! How do you feel about it?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Hi Bruce, Oct 8th 2008 will always be a haunted day for us too. the first one was tough. I've heard others say these anniversaries hit hard too.
    We tried to look at it as a celebration of survival.

Damn, Bruce, 32 years is a big one. I think you've done an incredible job of living the life you wanted back when independent living, as an ideal and a movement, was still in its infancy.

Congrats on surviving and thriving -- and being able to plop your behind on that sweet, sweet, trike -- during a lot of years when many people still believed that a nursing home was the best thing/only option for someone with your level of disability. You deserve to sport an "Independent" patch on your leather more than anybody.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

It's strange how dates hit you like that.

My son had his third anniversary last month and it was depressing. Once the day passed though, everything seemed fine.

Hang in there.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

november 13. though I have had some issues since birth, my normal was compounded that day. this year it had passed me by unnoticed. when I realised it was the 14, and I had let it pass without a thought, well yes it affected me that ten years had come and gone. so much has happened since then. Five major events. oh, well six, that have changed and affected me and family in a huge way. I do not remember right off all the dates of those major events like I do the date of my accident.

I hope that your mood gets better bruce. I for one plan to party in some way on crash day for the rest of my future. heres to 32 more Brucec, cheers.

[QUOTE=MarkB701;1178898]Well...congratulations, sorta.

Personally I would have lit up and stayed at my desk in honor of 1978 and how things used to be back then.

btw - you ARE old.[/QUOTE]

yes I am, and seems weird when I hit the big 50 this year, the date will be 10/10/10
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

question to you, do you feel any older than you did 32 years ago? I mean with physical issues.

Like for instance my grandma is 87 and she tells me her problems and in my head Im like wait, I have all of those and some more. So when I get older will I even notice my body falling apart because it already seems like its screwed.

Its like she has to cath now, she has pain, she has ostoprosis, she can't walk good, I have all those too but she can have a bm without fingering her anus which is nice. So when I'm older will I just dominate all the other old people when it comes to wheelchair races because I'm so use to it? hah
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home