Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 32 years

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

32 years

Damn, was in a great mood today, and then saw a memo here at work with March 5th on it, knew something was weird about that date, and then it hit me, 32 years ago, 3/5/78 was my car accident.
    had to go outside and smoke a ciggarette, lots of weird thoughts still going on
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Well...congratulations, sorta.

Personally I would have lit up and stayed at my desk in honor of 1978 and how things used to be back then.

btw - you ARE old.

[QUOTE=MarkB701;1178898]Well...congratulations, sorta.

Personally I would have lit up and stayed at my desk in honor of 1978 and how things used to be back then.

btw - you ARE old.[/QUOTE]

yes I am, and seems weird when I hit the big 50 this year, the date will be 10/10/10
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

[QUOTE=brucec;1178946]
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    Well...congratulations, sorta.

btw - you ARE old.[/QUOTE]

yes I am, and seems weird when I hit the big 50 this year, the date will be 10/10/10
    I will hit 50 also, in August.....I highly suggest celebrating the birthday with a colonoscopy.....you'll be fartn under the covers from all the fun!!!!

With 32 years under your belt, you certainly qualify for the Professional SCI rank. I started out celebrating with a party at which I would drink a toast for every year. That lasted up to the 10th. I did make it back to the dorm that night, but the next morning, I decided that that was it. lol I will drink one for you tonight. You deserve another 32 good ones.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Do you think it gets more difficult as you get older? I hit my 25th anniversary this summer and am 37yrs of age.

I'm thinking it was easier when I was in my teens and twenties and always had something else to occupy me .. but I own my home, have a job, no family etc etc ... and it seems like all I have to do is sit around and think about how no matter what I do or accomplish .. I could never make amends with paralysis.

Am I the odd person out here?

32 years is quite a long time! How do you feel about it?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Do you think it gets more difficult as you get older? I hit my 25th anniversary this summer and am 37yrs of age.

I'm thinking it was easier when I was in my teens and twenties and always had something else to occupy me .. but I own my home, have a job, no family etc etc ... and it seems like all I have to do is sit around and think about how no matter what I do or accomplish .. I could never make amends with paralysis.

Am I the odd person out here?

32 years is quite a long time! How do you feel about it?
    probably easier since you've learned to just go with the flow as you get older, when younger never really stopped to think, just go go go.
    actually I guess I never made amends with it, probably never will, but try to stay busy and not think about it, guess thats what it hit me this morning, just wow
    But i stay busy, own two homes, have full time job, 35 family members in this area, alot of friends and stay busy during the summer on my trike I built.

yes, 32 is quite a long time, how do I feel about it?
    to be honest, i think more and more about getting old than the sci, but sci is part of it, (like) will I have security in my older age, will I have family around, will i be independent still, etc
    Ronald Reagan

Hi Bruce, Oct 8th 2008 will always be a haunted day for us too. the first one was tough. I've heard others say these anniversaries hit hard too.
    We tried to look at it as a celebration of survival.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Hi Bruce, Oct 8th 2008 will always be a haunted day for us too. the first one was tough. I've heard others say these anniversaries hit hard too.
    We tried to look at it as a celebration of survival.
    at first it was always waiting for the cure, after awhile you just don't care anymore and get on with your life.
    the only other anniversary that hit me weird was the 17th anniversary since i had spent as many years in the chair as when I was AB. (carwreck when 17)
    Ronald Reagan

Damn, Bruce, 32 years is a big one. I think you've done an incredible job of living the life you wanted back when independent living, as an ideal and a movement, was still in its infancy.

Congrats on surviving and thriving -- and being able to plop your behind on that sweet, sweet, trike -- during a lot of years when many people still believed that a nursing home was the best thing/only option for someone with your level of disability. You deserve to sport an "Independent" patch on your leather more than anybody.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar