Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Service Dog

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    This is all really very interesting however, we have steered a bit away from the original post. Hopefully this info helps him as well.
    Lighten up. There was no harm done with a few off tangent posts as the thread already had plenty of on topic information in reply to the OP's query.

Last edited by orangejello; 03-06-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Orangejello - Sorry, I really didnt mean my statement to come across as I was complaining. I have posted several times in this post and have learned some valuable information regarding service dogs. I was just saying the OP question was how many people with MS have service dogs, just hoping that if he is looking into getting one that this info helps him as well.

Thank you MS Wife.
    I guess I should have been more specific. Good feed back anyway.
    I am considering trying to get a service dog to help me when my wife is at work or if I want to go fishing, gardening, etc; by my self.

Which would be the best route to take in getting a service dog?
    Should I start with the MS Society first?

Willamette Valley of the Pacific Northwest
    2 organizations might offer you the assistance you are seeking. The first is the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, which has a handout on training service dogs for people with M. The other group that might be of interest to you is Canine Partners for Life (K94life.org). Best of luck. Huckleberry

Here is an excellent resource for anyone considering a service dog:

http://www.deltasociety.org/

There are a number of different programs (many listed above) that you can apply to for help in getting a dog, or training a dog you already own, and they vary significantly related to waiting lists and programs.

(KLD)

Willamette Valley of the Pacific Northwest
    Canine Partners for LIfe (info@k94life.org) has info, and the MUltiple Sclerosis Foundation has a fact sheet on training service dogs for people with MS.

Thanks Everyone.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
    Canine Partners for LIfe (info@k94life.org) has info, and the MUltiple Sclerosis Foundation has a fact sheet on training service dogs for people with MS.
    Canine Partners for Life is an EXCELLENT organization. My mother has gotten 2 service dogs from them. I may be biased, but I really feel they are top notch...the best you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello View Post
    or you could try this cat the climbing is there, although I think major work on co-operation skills would be needed

The wall duster or the too curious kitty... hmmmmm, what's that string doing there??

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria