Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are we less employable as a result of Healthcare costs?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    I don't need a job right now....but who knows what might change in my employment situation......
    I sincerely hope you never have to face that, man. I have to say I can certainly empathize with your worries. I can't imagine having an injury, a family to support, and have to worry about the loss of a job in our present economy. Being injured so young and being gay, I never had to worry about supporting a wife and children, so I definitely feel for husbands who do have families to support and either worry about it or can no longer do it.

Quote Originally Posted by medic1 View Post

thanks, alot of good info there
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Werid, I got a full time job and told them how much I make a year and they said Oh? well you no longer get SSI or SSD and you also don't quality for medicare anymore until you hit 65. Goodluck have fun and gave me a pat on my hiney on the way out.

Big companies dont' care if your disabled but I can see smaller companies seeing your disability an issue because it is true it will cost them more. Of course they can't tell you outright thats not why they hired you but it could be a factor without them letting you know.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee View Post
    Werid, I got a full time job and told them how much I make a year and they said Oh? well you no longer get SSI or SSD and you also don't quality for medicare anymore until you hit 65. Goodluck have fun and gave me a pat on my hiney on the way out.

Big companies dont' care if your disabled but I can see smaller companies seeing your disability an issue because it is true it will cost them more. Of course they can't tell you outright thats not why they hired you but it could be a factor without them letting you know.
    Mr. C did they immediately cut off your benfits once you informed them that you're working? I know a few sci's who went back to work who have good paying jobs that continued receiving full ssdi check and their paychecks from job for many months I can't remember but it wasn't longer than a year.
    Last edited by wtf; 03-04-2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added a few mords so it made sense lol

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee View Post

I believe that is because SSI is based on income need rather than being an insurance benefit for which you qualify by making a minimum number of contributions by payroll deductions. What is SSD? I have heard of SSDI, is this the same thing?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    I sincerely hope you never have to face that, man. I have to say I can certainly empathize with your worries. I can't imagine having an injury, a family to support, and have to worry about the loss of a job in our present economy. Being injured so young and being gay, I never had to worry about supporting a wife and children, so I definitely feel for husbands who do have families to support and either worry about it or can no longer do it.
    Well, I'll be frank.....it is worrying.
    I support my wife (who does not work due to chronic back pain) and her daughter who is 15. Her son, who is 20 lives in her old house in MS. He works at a shop, but earns little. I have to pay the mortgage on that house and many of his bills. He wants to go back to school to study but doesnt know what. His car broke and it looks like I will be buying another one.
    So, I have 2 house payment, multiple cars, loads and loads of bills. The savings I had managed to gather are being depleted at $1-$2k per month. It will run out.
    I am on the smae exact pay as in 2005.
    I cannot sell the MS house since it is on her family land
    My wife has got student loans that I am paying back at $500 per week.

Its kinda tough, to provide for a big family AND look after a paraplegic man. at the date of my accident I was not married.

And to think it could all turn on losing my job? Id be so screwed. No one else in rural GA would pay what I make now,and I am already making a net loss each month.

I owe no money apart from the mortgages though. Oh and her student loans.

TMI? probably. I love them, its my family.

But what has being gay gotta do with it? You'll have a husband one of these days.....and maybe even some kids too. It's all just waiting for you....so watch out....!!!

Let me add.....I'm doing alright, I'm just short on positive cash flow. I'm asset rich cash poor. And wonder what it would be like if I lost this job (for posting during working hours on the internet say).

I don't need discrimination on top....I'm not used to discrimination, I'm white, straight and male dammit....

If your wife is permanently disabled, it may be possible to have her student loans forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Mr. C did they immediately cut off your benfits once you informed them that you're working? I know a few sci's who went back to work who have good paying jobs that continued receiving full ssdi check and their paychecks from job for many months I can't remember but it wasn't longer than a year.
    Yeah, you get 9 months of SSDI under trial work period, then another 3 months "extension", then make sure you hound them to actually stop paying otherwise you'll end up with something like 15 or 16 months and wonder if they might come back several years later once they discover the overpayment. Or they might not...it's been 6 years now, lol

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    I don't need discrimination on top....I'm not used to discrimination, I'm white, straight and male dammit....
    LMAO! You're good.