Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we less employable as a result of Healthcare costs?

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    When I was first disabled, I submitted my info and was approved for SSDI and Medicare A and B. Once you are approved, and as long as you pay the premiums, there is no end period for the insurance, regardless of whether you work or not. I had Aetna as my primary and Medicare as my secondary for three years and each knew about the other. Now, if you receive money in the form of SSDI, you can only receive checks for another eight or nine months after you restart employment. You must then set up another format for paying your premiums since they are not deducted from SSDI.
    Thanks Joe, I had assumed that if you no longer qualified for SSDI, you no longer qualified for Medicare insurance. So, does that mean you can you apply for Medicare while you are fully employed, have a "disability", but haven't reached a minimum age?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    So, in my case:

- still employed at same job I had before accident
    - never used Medicare since HC provided at work

Lets say I lose my job:

>> If I go to another "big" employer there should be no serious discrimination? The manager employing me will not really care about the company's HC costs, although his HR director might snag him in the hall and tell him to find something wrong with me, say. But basically, should be little/no discrimination?

>> If I go to a small employer (less than 100 people), I might qualify for Medicare REGARDLESS of how much I am paid?? So no discrimination there either?

Is this about right???

remember, most discrimation is in the backrooms, I doubt if ANY business whould ever tell you "to your face" they will not hire you because their preiums would go up
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Thanks Joe, I had assumed that if you no longer qualified for SSDI, you no longer qualified for Medicare insurance. So, does that mean you can you apply for Medicare while you are fully employed, have a "disability", but haven't reached a minimum age?
    I'd like to hear the answer to that, i always ASSUMED because I worked I was NOT able to apply for medicare, etc.

but when I retire from civil service in 5 1/2 years, i know if i carry my blue cross/blue shield into retirement, once I turn 62 medicare becomes my primary and bc/bs becomes secondary, at least thats what the retirement people tell me
    Last edited by brucec; 03-04-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: edited to put NOT in there
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    I'd like to hear the answer to that, i always ASSUMED because I worked I was able to apply for medicare, etc.

but when I retire from civil service in 5 1/2 years, i know if i carry my blue cross/blue shield into retirement, once I turn 62 medicare becomes my primary and bc/bs becomes secondary, at least thats what the retirement people tell me
    I am very interested in the answer to this thread as well. I assumed since I am employed full time that Medicare is not an option. I am off to the web to try and find an answer. Starting here:

http://www.medicare.gov/MedicareElig...nguage=English

update: Well that was clear as mud.

Part A:

"You can get Part A without having to pay premiums once you have received Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board disability benefits for 24 months." I assume since I will not be receiving SSDI that is a no.

Part B:

"Your Initial Enrollment Period for Medicare Part B will begin three months before your 25th month of entitlement to disability benefits. " Does being paralyzed entitle met to disability benefits even if I don't get them? The site says call the Social Security office.
    Last edited by t8burst; 03-04-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Now, here's what I am UNSURE of, does the making of application and approval need to follow a certain course of events/timeline?

I filled out paperwork ASAP for SSDI and Medicare and never went on LTD, nor was I ever required to pledge as such. I maxed out STD and then was back at work. I was even allowed to receive eight months of SSDI, even though I was back at my job.

I am afraid I can't cite any passage, only provide my experience.

24 months? I believe my part A is paid for 7 years! What is going on there?
    And the truth shall set you free.

Remember that Medicare in some states doesn't cover all your needs. As a vent dependent quad, I require 24/7 nursing or care due to vent monitoring. In Iowa, Medicare would only cover this in a nursing home.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

From what I understand you can only get medicare under 65 if you are disabled and the only way to sign up for medicare is if you are getting soc. sec. dis. So , if you are working and dont qualify for soc. sec. dis. then you cant get signed up for medicare.

(Does this make sense?!

Quote Originally Posted by medic1 View Post
    From what I understand you can only get medicare under 65 if you are disabled and the only way to sign up for medicare is if you are getting soc. sec. dis. So , if you are working and dont qualify for soc. sec. dis. then you cant get signed up for medicare.

(Does this make sense?!
    so if you quit your job, sign up for SOC Sec dis. and get approved, then start working again the medicare will continue as in nodecafpls example ?
    Ronald Reagan

http://www.kff.org/medicare/7241/ssdi.cfm#b1

Can someone on SSDI continue Medicare coverage when they return to work?

Yes. If you go off SSDI when you return to work you can continue Medicare coverage for 93 months after completing the 9 months work period. Combined with the trial work period, therefore, you can receive Medicare Part A coverage premium-free for a total of 8 and half years. You can also continue to pay for Part B during this same time.
    Most people who return to work after the trial work period will automatically retain Medicare in this manner if they have completed the initial 24 waiting period or were otherwise exempted from the waiting period requirement.

Persons who complete their trial work period before the 24 month Medicare waiting period runs out can still take advantage of this incentive. But, they must wait for the full 24 months to elapse before such Medicare coverage goes into effect. Hence, if you begin your trial work period at the beginning of the sixth month after you started to receive your SSDI and ends 9 months later that means you will be 15 months into the 24 month Medicare waiting period, you will have to wait another 9 month for coverage to begin.

Alternatively, if you begin your trial work period at the start of month 15 and it ends 9 months later, the waiting period will be satisfied and your Medicare coverage will start at this point. If you begin working before your Medicare benefits start, you should take care to maintain your SSDI benefits if you earn more than SGA. If you believe that you will earn more than SGA, we urge you to explore using work incentives such as the impairment-related work expenses (IRWE) or plan for achieving self-sufficiency (PASS) to get your countable earnings below the SGA standard. If you have questions, you should contact your local Benefits Planning, Assistance and Outreach (BPAO) program. To locate the BPAO project nearest you, call 1-866-968-7842 or for the hearing impaired, call 1-866-833-2967 (TTY/TDD). You can also find a list with contact information on the Social Security Administration’s website at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/work/S...Directory.html.

People with disabilities that have Medigap who return to work and have employee-based insurance can request that such Medigap coverage and premiums be suspended. The Ticket to Work Act also requires reinstatement of a Medigap policy if group coverage is lost provided that the person gives notice of loss of employer coverage within 90 days. Back to the Top

Can people with disabilities who work buy into Medicare once their eight and a half years of premium-free coverage runs out?

Yes. After premium-free Medicare coverage ends due to work, some people who have returned to work may buy continued Medicare coverage by paying the full premium, as long as they remain medically disabled.
    Last edited by medic1; 03-04-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: added site that info was on

Thanks Medic!

And the truth shall set you free.