Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with a Tenpoint Crossbow?

Hunting with a Tenpoint Crossbow?

Does anyone have a Tenpoint Magnum Extreme crossbow? I have a chance to get a used one that is 6 years old and looks like new. It includes a Millett Redot SR2 scope and Acu Draw (crank type), 175 lbs pull. Is it worth $500.? Any input welcomed!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

I don't know much about crossbows, but I was looking at some last month at Gander Mountain, and for about $7-900 I could have a top of the line setup (scope included). Maybe go in to a good outdoor store and talk to somebody about it? My friends mom got one a few years ago when she hurt her shoulder, and only used it once or twice. Sounds like we might be striking up a deal for it whenever we remember to talk about it. lol
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

OT, i shoot a TenPoint Stealth X-2 and have used it for 10-11 years. i think the model you're talking about is discontinued but figure after 6 years, you'll most likely have to put $150 in it to get it in good shape, unless the owner has taken care it and put new string and cables. The cable in my cocking device broke after 8 years, so take that into consideration. I just sent my in this past year for a complete tune-up and it cost me $75 or so. Their cocking device is the cats ass and the only way I could hunt independently.

So with all of that said, it's an OK deal if it's in good shape. get him to throw in his bolts too!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Thanks DeadEye, the string was replaced last year and I do believe that model has been discontinued. There are no bolts included. Was there more than one crank type cocking device made? What should I expect to pay for bolts? The guy says it will hit a 50 cent piece at 35-40 yds., pulling my leg right? It's still below zero up here otherwise I'd try myself.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

I am still waiting to get David the Ten Point Defender CLS. Ten Point and the acu-draw seems to be exactly what David needs. I will get it this year, hopefully this spring with the income tax refund.

I for sure need the Acu-Draw, would like a scope as well. The closest Gander Mountain is 90 miles away so I'm off to snoop around. If I could get a used one for even half price from maybe a private sale I think I'd take it.

Actually OT, the accuracy he's talking about is certainly close. One of the keys to maintaining accuracy is ALWAYS having the bow cock exactly the same way each time. The Accudraw does this. I had a Millett red dot on initially, then it went bad after 6-7 years. I called Millett and they sent me a brand new one for free, even paid for the shipping charges! Likewise, every time I've dealt with anyone at TenPoint, they've been nice, knowledgable and went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

DeadEye, what kind of bolts are you using & what grain? Sure seems like the Tenpoint stands out as far as quality, workmanship and business relationship, I haven't heard a bad thing about they yet. I guess that reflects on their cost but would be well worth it in the long run. Hopefully soon I can get one, have been looking at tons of snow since Nov. and the cold to go along with it. It was -1 this morning and may hit a balmy +30 within the next 10 days. I've got the "hunt fever"!

OT, I use the carbon Tenpoint bolts, flat knock with 100 gr Thunderheads. I don't remember their specific size offhand. They work fine for me.

I checked out the new PSE Crossbow yesterday at the Western Va Sports Show. It's available as a complete crossbow for $1500 or just the top part that fits on an AR frame for $1300. Shoots 405 fps! I've seen videos of it hitting pie plates at 100 yards!

Robin - do you have any idea what the width of the limbs on a Stealth x2 is?