Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Identifying yourself as disabled on your resume

As a former HR Manager speaking--nope. The only thing that needs to be focused on by a potential employer during the initial applicant screening process is whether or not one meets the minimum qualifications for the job. Once you roll into an interview (barring that you don't need an accomodation for it) they will see it then, but potential employers aren't suppose to speak on it still.

Thank you for your useful tips.

I never put it on my resume when I was working because I did not want their possible preconceived notions to get in the way of my employment. Even after I was working my place of employment would send around a yearly sort of census, one question having to do with self disclosure of a disability, and I never wrote I was disabled. My feeling was that my boss had hired me independent of the HR office, so I was not going to let them use my employment as proof that they "had one" on the books.

Thanks everyone for the excellent information.

The only reason I thought might warrant putting it on is that some companies seem to go out of their way to create a diverse work force, funny enough through all the basis of discrimination (race, sex, physical, religion, etc.). So, I thought that putting it on your resume might get their attention.

Anyhow, thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by felieh View Post
    Thanks everyone for the excellent information.

The only reason I thought might warrant putting it on is that some companies seem to go out of their way to create a diverse work force, funny enough through all the basis of discrimination (race, sex, physical, religion, etc.). So, I thought that putting it on your resume might get their attention.

Anyhow, thanks again.
    FYI: Companies will go out of their way if they are government contractors who have to adhere to compliance standards as it relates to EEO and their annual Affirmative Action plan which is kept on record in case there is ever a claim of discrimination in hiring and promoting.

Companies who are contracted with the fed have to make a concerted effort and show proof that they are attempting to hire a diverse workforce (that's why if you are a protected class member some companies are quick to hand you an application to fill out before someone even says "hello.").

If you are seeking a Federal job that offers "non-competitive" positions than it should be in your cover letter as well as you have to have a form completed by state voc rehab. Many states have the same kind of hiring.

One word of caution----non competitive Federal jobs are at a lower pay grade. Read the requirement s for the position carefully. If you think you need that extra edge to get the job--apply for a non-competitive job. If however, you know you can compete with anyone who is applying, skip the non-competitive route. Going non-competitive usually brings you in one to 2 grade levels lower or at the bottom of the pay scale.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by bella2009111 View Post
    I don't think that disable people is mroe incapable than normal guy! I suppose no.
    Non-competitive jobs are a way to give someone access to an entry level position. For many who have to change career paths post injury, this is a great way to go.

Federal jobs often have -5 yrs experience required. If you take a non-competitive position, you don't need the experience.

It is not about being incapable---more about the experience. If you have the skills and time required by the job description, shoot for the higher GS level unless you are flush with money and don't care!
    Every day I wake up is a good one