Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I know, I know, it's horribly idealistic of me........

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    If it was a school event here, you would be filing an ADA based lawsuit along with numerous classmates. seriously
    We don't have ADA in Canada.

Still, SCIfor55yrs has a good point. Surely there must be some provincial or fed. legislation that speaks to this issue.

Even if it is an informal school study group or club, the university must have regulations about inclusiveness / discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by arod636 View Post
    Whenever some spot isn't accessible I call my lawyer an file a lawsuit. I got a few cases pending now. If a place isn't accessible I call the facility if they want to be stupid about it I call my layer simple as that... Venting on here about an inaccessible spot isn't going to do anything about the spot. But a lawsuit seems to make things happen
    A lawsuit sounds simple. but isn't there a tremendous financial cost? I have thought about filing, but hesitated due to the financial outlay.

Can you cite examples of your legal successes?
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

So, after speaking with our equity ambassador (who, by the way, is the best person to kick asses if necessary), it turns out the LSS, [Law Students Society] cannot force a club affiliated with our school to make their event wheelchair accessible. The clubs operate independently. This isn't going to stop me though. I'll figure something out.

Man, what I wouldn't give to have the ADA in Canada.

I don't think a lawsuit (be it in U.S. or Canada) will help much, if at all, in this situation, especially given that it deals with student organized events and activities.

The ADA doesn't guarantee anything either, so I don't think this would change the situation much for you either, as far as students organizing accessible events. It will be up to those students to make "reasonable accommodations" if a place is not accessible. BUT, there may be no need to make any reasonable accommodations if they are not aware of the need - be it in a broad general sense or specifically knowing a person in a chair is interested in or planning to attend.

Have you made attempts to be part of a planning committee and/or knowing of a scheduled event that wasn't accessible which you were interested in participating in , made it known to the organizers (beyond facebook) that you'd like to attend but couldn't and they refused to accommodate you?

You mentioned at least one other student at your school in a wc (who also raced). Do you think you two can speak to fellow students and clubs/groups about this issue (in both a social, legal, civil rights contexts) to increase awareness and helping those student groups to understand the particular (disability/access) issues and be proactive in addressing them in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by KiranA View Post
    So, after speaking with our equity ambassador (who, by the way, is the best person to kick asses if necessary), it turns out the LSS, [Law Students Society] cannot force a club affiliated with our school to make their event wheelchair accessible. The clubs operate independently. This isn't going to stop me though. I'll figure something out.

How about a human rights discrimanation claim Kiran?

a club affiliated with your school should be accessible. if it is not, then no event. how hard is it for the people in charge of granting permission for events to say, we have many students who use wheelchairs, is your club accessible? the people in charge of organizing school affiliated events should be aware of a policy to include all students. that means inquiry into accessibility.

Which club is it? It might be worth suggesting that they all spend a meeting (or an afternoon) in a wheelchair to get a feel for what you're talking about.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Is it the same people/organization that keep doing it? That's sad if it is and they know you are excluded over and over.
    Or is it different clubs that maybe just each heard your complaint once and forgot?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

How about showing up early a few times. Sit right in front of the entrance where all the other students have to practically trip over you. Greet each one and ask them if they could help you get in. Point out that if you were being excluded because you were x (name a couple of other former disenfranchised groups) they wouldn't stand for it. Ask for their help in getting it fixed. Do it a couple of times.

Personally, I'm trying a new tactic. Rather than staying home cuz I know it's inaccessible, I let ppl know how excited I am and how eager I am to attend whatever event. "See you there!!!!!!" I make my exclusions pretty public these days. It's making a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    Which club is it? It might be worth suggesting that they all spend a meeting (or an afternoon) in a wheelchair to get a feel for what you're talking about.
    I love this idea, esp. if they're headed someplace they won't be able to access! Going to the mall in a chair is easy but trying to attend an inacessible event is a whole nother ballgame.