Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R-4000 users - any comment?

R-4000 users - any comment?

My p222 has served me well since 2002 but time to look at a new chair. Looking at the Pride r4000. Any users out there that can offer advice? Pros. Cons.

Thanks.

Actually I think it's called a Quantum R-4000.

Anybody have one?

Hi,

You might want to look around the forums on www.wheelchairjunkie.com

Thanks Rononwheels.

Been there done that. A number of reviews there. Which was great.

That said, still like to hear from CC users of R4000. CC users are always on the mark!

Here are my findings after two days of demo in the Quantum R4000.

PROS
    - Not a bad looking pwr chair. Comfortable ride
    - Good Personal posture (using Jay3 back)
    - Quiet
    - Fast enough

CONS
    - controller / joystick is huge. Gets in the way even with swing away
    - Foot rests are huge. Difficult to manuever in tight spaces
    - Leg rests at 70 degree swing away are also too wide and stick out too far.
    - Need to run at van ramp to avoid rear tire spin / getting stuck.
    - Gusto / Power?

The Pride Mobility website could offer more/better info. For instance, it has an accessories tab and leg rests are listed, but no pictures of 80 degree tapered legrest are shown. This might address / sway my purchase decision as it could eliminate the above noted problem.

Also, any other 100 amp joystick available?

Like to hear about other people's experience w/ this or any other rear wheel drive chair.
    Last edited by CowboyCrip; 03-07-2010 at 10:35 PM.

I demoed the r4000 and had the following observations:
    Pro:
    Nice Ride
    If it were programmed without a long delay, I would have had a better experience
    Con:
    Too wide compared to p222se. That extra 1 1/2" in huge in tight spaces
    Footrests stick out way too far from seat pan(at the top), making the front to back length even longer.
    Back height too tall. Not as fast as 222se
    Cannot take apart like 222se
    No adj cg like 222se
    Joystick too big
    Mostly too big, I think the performance would be great with the upgraded motors and the ride certainly was smooth.

Have you tried the 222se? It is of course based on your needs and preferences. I was so impressed by the 222se and for me, having a group 4 chair that is both narrow and can break down for travel is important.
    Best Wishes,
    engineermom2

Quote Originally Posted by engineermom2 View Post
    I demoed the r4000 and had the following observations:
    Pro:
    Nice Ride
    If it were programmed without a long delay, I would have had a better experience
    Con:
    Too wide compared to p222se. That extra 1 1/2" in huge in tight spaces
    Footrests stick out way too far from seat pan(at the top), making the front to back length even longer.
    Back height too tall. Not as fast as 222se
    Cannot take apart like 222se
    No adj cg like 222se
    Joystick too big
    Mostly too big, I think the performance would be great with the upgraded motors and the ride certainly was smooth.

Have you tried the 222se? It is of course based on your needs and preferences. I was so impressed by the 222se and for me, having a group 4 chair that is both narrow and can break down for travel is important.
    Best Wishes,
    engineermom2
    Hello Engineermom,

Are you the proud mother of an engineer or an engineer yourself?

I am currently using a P222 since 2001. Overall, it's been a good chair. I am lined up for a demo of the new generation P222 SE. Probably after Easter.

I agree with your R4000 findings totally.

Cowboy Crip,
    Am engineer and mom too. May I ask- did you have tilt on your last 222? Are you considering tilt on your next 222se this time around?

While couldn't demo the 222se with tilt, was really impressed with its performance and handling. Would get knobby tires for new england environment. Am considering tilt and understand it adds 1.75" to the STF making it 19.75". Unless go with Motion Concepts which would save about an inch in STF.

Did call MC to see if portability would be retained with the tilt and they said yes with the tilt, but NO if you add 7" seat elevator-hey it doesn't hurt to ask!

Mostly am concerned about stf and seat dump as well as reliability of the tilt actuator itself. Seriously looking into the EZ Lock 1 1/4" shim kit so the wheelchair bolt doesn't have to hang so low to the ground. After all, what's the point of having a 222se if you cant hop curbs?!!

Best wishes on your upcoming demo!
    engineermom2

engineermom2 have you called Quickie to ask about STF height with tilt? I was told they could be built as low as 16".
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

"november",
    A 16" STF on a p222se with tilt would surprise me as an 18 STF and additional 1.75" with tilt is right on the order form itslef for this particular model, so to answer your question, no I actually hadn't considered asking Quickie anything further about it but now that you have mentioned it, will ask when we do the fitting!

Thanks