Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping on Stomach,(Prone)

Sleeping on Stomach,(Prone)

This has been purely ancedotal but for the last week(5days) I have been sleeping on my stomach. This seems to have reduced the tone in my legs in the morning. This is a good position to be in as it helps keep the natural dip in the small of your back, which is affected by sitting in wheel chair.
    Appreciate the small gains and the large ones will be ignored!!

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenJ View Post
    This has been purely ancedotal but for the last week(5days) I have been sleeping on my stomach. This seems to have reduced the tone in my legs in the morning. This is a good position to be in as it helps keep the natural dip in the small of your back, which is affected by sitting in wheel chair.
    I would love to be able to sleep on my stomach as it is an excellent way to stretch the hip flexor muscles. However, I find it uncomfortable to have my neck rotated to the extreme left or right. A face cradle, which allows the head to be in a neutral position, extends the neck in an unnatural and uncomfortable position.
    Last edited by stephen212; 03-04-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I would love to be able to sleep on my stomach as it is an excellent way to stretch the hip flexor muscles. However, I find it uncomfortable to have my neck rotated to the extreme left or right. And face cradle, which allow the head to be in a neutral position, extend the neck in an unnatural and uncomfortable position.
    x2.
    Just can't do it.
    After about 10min my neck has a kink in it and I can barely move it.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Yes, this is the greatest position for anyone using a wheelchair all day, giving you a hip flexor stretch all night. Great for your back.

Unfortunately my dad can't do it because he uses CPAP.

yup, good for the hips and low back....i fall asleep on my back and usually wake up 4/5ish and roll over and sleep the last few hours on my stomach....then for extra stretch, when i wake up, i bring my arms up to be on my elbows, head/chest up...for like 10-15 min...

Yeah, sleeping on your stomach is awesome for the back. I periodically switch from laying on my back, side, and stomach through the night, but try to spend most of the time on my stomach.

To all with problems in the neck on when sleepin on stomach. Lets invent something to help to make your neck more comfy. Question would one of those massage tables be helpful, the one when your face is looking at ground so neck is not turned? Just trying to think of solutions.
    Appreciate the small gains and the large ones will be ignored!!

To all with problems in the neck on when sleepin on stomach. Lets invent something to help to make your neck more comfy. Question would one of those massage tables be helpful, the one when your face is looking at ground so neck is not turned? Just trying to think of solutions.
    i bought a pron pillow from chattangooga tn 100.00 have had it 5 yrs its great otherwise
    icouldn/t prone

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985

Hip Flexor Stretch?!

After 25 years of sleeping on my sides, I've started "sleeping" prone for an hour, one night a week. I'm not yet comfortable enough to actually sleep, but it is improving. It must be giving me a good stretch! I used a standing table the next day, and I was amazed that I easily straightened all the way up and felt comfortable (and didn't get light-headed)! Every other time I've tried to stand (about a dozen), I was far from vertical and felt terrible.

I may try to stand again in a couple weeks, without sleeping prone for a week or more, and see if it's difficult again (just to confirm the hip flexor stretch, since I can't feel it).

i have massages on that type of table.. ur forehead feels really uncomfortable after an hour... but thats just me
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d