Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleeping on Stomach,(Prone)

Further on this Proning Thread...

I've started adding sleeping on my stomach to my nightly routine. I can only make for about half the night and then my body automatically pulls me up on my side.

Just to drive home the point about having proper support and cushioning while sleeping in a prone position. After my fall that resulted in my T11/T12 complete, I was in the ICU for a case of ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome). The only way they could stabilize my condition was keeping my prone on my stomach for three consecutive days.

One thing that they forgot to do was move me off my chin, which was pushed up against the proning donut face pillow.

When they finally did move me, my chin had turned into necrotic tissue, which eventually was removed.

There is a happy ending to the story. One year later the plastic surgeon gave me the cleft chin that I was wanted. Those plastic surgeons are amazing...and my Wife digs the chin.

I can only sleep on my stomach. I used to on my sides as well but it hurts my shoulders too much now. If I'm tired enough to start falling asleep on my back I wake up quickly with my back aching, even with a lumbar roll. But usually I get leg spasms when drifting off on my back, and have to flip over. I don't have sci but recently read here about stomach sleeping helping leg spasms!

I can't turn my neck that far so I'm somewhat angled. I have a down pillow that props up my chest and arm on the side I'm facing. I also have a quite thin memory foam pillow (regular pillow shape, not those ones with rolls) and have my head at the very edge so it's tilted down. I've slept this way since I was a kid. Works great most of the time, but I am occasionally getting shoulder issues from the offside arm. I flip facing sides frequently though. And a big part was sleeping on a sagging mattress, so it was putting torqe on that offside shoulder from my chest sinking. It's barely a problem now that I'm back on my own mattress and memory foam topper.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by douglastneidermeyer View Post
    I've started adding sleeping on my stomach to my nightly routine. I can only make for about half the night and then my body automatically pulls me up on my side.

Just to drive home the point about having proper support and cushioning while sleeping in a prone position. After my fall that resulted in my T11/T12 complete, I was in the ICU for a case of ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome). The only way they could stabilize my condition was keeping my prone on my stomach for three consecutive days.

One thing that they forgot to do was move me off my chin, which was pushed up against the proning donut face pillow.

When they finally did move me, my chin had turned into necrotic tissue, which eventually was removed.

There is a happy ending to the story. One year later the plastic surgeon gave me the cleft chin that I was wanted. Those plastic surgeons are amazing...and my Wife digs the chin.
    X2 I love sleeping on my stomach except my spasms flip me on my side during the night, which sometimes takes me too close to the edge of the bed or rolls me back onto my cath and pulls it. So i just do it for a few minutes when i can.
    'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin