Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: family

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    I love how he said "no disrespect to those who need handicapped parking"

seems like a hugh disrespect to me just by him parking there
    Yes that's what I thought. His wife posted it about him. Today there are about 6 replies telling them how rude and disrespectful they are.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    Tell them..You already said they don't understand. Make them aware of what they are doing and how it effects people that really need those spots.
    You’re right. Sometimes I should say things to family that I don’t but I guess we have to pick our battles and sometimes knowing the outcome just doesn’t make it worth the effort. If the friend I was referring to, who actually needs the parking, allows his daughter to use a placard, trust me, then, my picking a battle with family would fall on deaf ears. Someone in my family actually did get a ticket for parking in a hc spot. I must say I was quite pleased to hear it and actually let them know that I was. We are a very close family. They were there from the very beginning and have seen quite a bit, so if they haven’t processed, or choose to process some of the challenges I have faced after more than 40 years of my sci, well it just wouldn’t be worth the confrontation.

To their credit i would like to think i made it look easy, and that's being generous. lol

Ouch, that hurts. One would hope he might have been more sensitized, but I am getting cynical enough about HP parking that I almost think if he hadn't taken it some other fraud would have. In my state I swear they give out the placards if you have an ingrown toe nail, and half the time it is people who actually have placards (never sure why since they come bounding out in their little Nike's) who park on yellow lines and make life difficult.

All I can say is wow. The town I moved to is a lot worse about abusing hp over the town I did live in. I really wish they would put a few in the middle or end of the lot no one would want to park there and we could get back in our cars. I know its not really safe to push behind a line of parked cars but still....
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    I have an aunt who has a bogus placard (left over from his disabled husband who passed away years ago) - she parks in the h/c spots "so that she doesn't take up a regular space". Uhhhh wtf?
    even a permanant placard must be renewed every seven years. it must be renewed by having a physician fill out and send in the official application form. so eventually it will expire.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    even a permanant placard must be renewed every seven years. it must be renewed by having a physician fill out and send in the official application form. so eventually it will expire.

Not here...if you have a permanent one...it is just that...permanent.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

We have to send ours in every 2 years. But I signed my name because I didn't have time to go in to my physician who charges a fee for signing anything and they sent me a new placard.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    Not here...if you have a permanent one...it is just that...permanent.
    I've just always had the handicap license plates, only have to get a doctors note when I first purchase a vehicle and get new plates.
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    I've just always had the handicap license plates, only have to get a doctors note when I first purchase a vehicle and get new plates.
    Me too. I have had the same metal plates for years, only thing that changes is the registration expiration sticker. Unfortunately a few years ago the motor vehicle registry bowed to some disabled folks who wanted the option of placards, and that was the start of major abuses, people using deceased peoples placards, and even giving them to parents if your kid is on crutches for a few weeks. Even the "temporaray disability" placards are for six months and then people just put white tape over the expiration date and keep using them forever.

yea, mine expires this june, second time in 12 yrs, gonna get it redone for another 5-6 yrs, geez never thot I'd live this long. Got it when I was still able to walk, had lupus, but rarely used it-now use it when I can. I go to the food bank once in awhile and it's filled all 10 spots are talen by the workers, they walk in and out just fine and the spots are filled for the day.I'm wheelchair bound and have to cruise thru rain and hills to go to and from the place. Oh well, they MUST need it more than I(although my shoulder is starting to grind and crunch)