Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: family

family

Sometimes they suck

This was just posted as a status on facebook by my cousin in Mississippi.

Jeremy just got a ticket from Cleveland pd for parking in the handicapped parking-no disrespect to those who need handicapped parking bc we did park illegally bc its freezing and we had to take the baby in- but get a life Cleveland pd ugh!
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

I hope it was a HUGE fine/ticket. Ignorance is no excuse.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I kow exactly how you feel. I have a friend (bad knees) who has a handicapped card and let's his daughter use it all the time for shopping or event parking. It really sucks especially when they don't even try to hide the fact from me. I don't even understand how he can let her do it especially since he needs the space himself. Obviously his disability isn't bad enough for him to get angry if he has to walk far if someone else did the same. But I understand what you mean. Able bodied family with no understanding or sensitivity. You would think family would understand. They could have at least had the decency to not tell you about it and not express such an ignorant comment.

can you educate your cousin? although I am a legal plackard holder, and I totally deserve mine, I use it less for the most part after knowing what it is like for those with less function than I. especially, I never use a van spot ever, but did a couple times before I became more educated when my friend began needing a lift on a pemanent basis. I then became a part time wheelie due to more pain and less function over the years. I have almost been run over by using regular parking, However I do remember a time when I used Hc parking more when I could have used a spot available not too far away. I need the spot more than I did when I was issued the plackard, but still do not use a hc space if I can find a regular one because I feel there is someone out there who may need it more than I. for them, your cousins, it is about not wanting to walk in bad weather, but what they may not realise, is that others who need a lift to get in and out of a vehicle makes it a matter of if that space is used by a able bodied person than the person with the lift is stuck with no way out of their vehicle, or gets parked in if using a regular space, with no way to get back in. sometimes you need to paint a picture for some people to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by cara_m
    But I understand what you mean. Able bodied family with no understanding or sensitivity. You would think family would understand.
    Tell them..You already said they don't understand. Make them aware of what they are doing and how it effects people that really need those spots.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Just wondering did you reply to his status and if so, what did you say? I don't think I would be very nice, especially to family

My reply was nice enough. The thing is he is a firefighter and his wife, the one who posted, is an ER nurse. They should know better.

You know those hash marks? They are there so there's room to get a wheelchiar out. Otherwise I can't go in AT ALL. Thank goodness someone somewhere is ticketing for it because they don't do it here.
    50 minutes ago ยท
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

im like you jody i never let anybody park me in handicap spots because i have a power chair and maybe someone else might need it worse than me

In Florida where I'm living now everyone has hp placards so it makes no difference anyhow because all hp spots are generally always taken
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I also changed my profile picture briefly but then realized my kids could see it and pulled it down.
    Last edited by addiesue; 06-21-2010 at 02:23 PM.