Thread: When to change the tyres on your wheelchair

When to change the tyres on your wheelchair

I've been in a wheelchair for a while but I'm not really very clued up on the thing.

How do you know when to replace the tyres? Is is just when they begin to look worn or are there any other signs?

Thanks.

Just like car tires, it depends on your comfort and peace of mind as to how worn you let them get before changing tires.

You don't mention which type of tire you are talking about. On my large tube tires (manual chair) I try to change them when I have trouble getting traction for pushing, but I have worn them to the point of just being a thin skin between two sidewalls. My casters I keep a foam center so I don't have to worry about air pressure or flats. (I run an 8" caster)

It depends on how you use your chair and what kind of terrain you travel over.
    Last edited by Susqu; 03-02-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by Alick View Post
    I've been in a wheelchair for a while but I'm not really very clued up on the thing.

How do you know when to replace the tyres? Is is just when they begin to look worn or are there any other signs?

Thanks.
    also, if you have intertubes, wearing them down too much could ruin the intertube also.
    but i've had threads shoing a few times
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

You can generally get away with using them until the cord is showing which will generally just show up in a small spot (1/2 inch) of the tire at first, change em then. If you run em much further the cord spot will grow and then you could risk having it wear into the cord and blow a tube.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

For myself a average user approx 2 years to be safe
    Good luck
    Hugs to ya all

As soon as you find somebody , buy'em and change em.
    oh well

I always let my tires go until the material is showing and haven't had any problems doing so. Mind you it is a matter of haste that they are changed when this happens and in certain circumstances when you know you can't change them for a period you're better off being cautious and change them early.

Thanks for your replies, I use Schwalbe Marathon Plus (25s)

When you say material, what exactly do you mean? Is the material only visible after the tread is worn?

When I start sliding down wet slopes instead of rolling and/or my scissor brakes have no tread to dig into, I start thinking it's time for a new set!