Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: The story of my rehab at Kessler in 1955-56

  1. #1

    The story of my rehab at Kessler in 1955-56

    I have posted the story of my rehab at the Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation in West Orange. NJ in 1955-56. It is an excerpt from my autobiography being written for my family. It is posted in pdf format on my stories website and can be reached by clicking on the url below.

    Kessler as in appeared in 1955-56
    Attachment 34366

    A peek into one of the two 20-bed male dorms
    Attachment 34367
    Last edited by SCIfor55+yrs.; 03-02-2010 at 06:31 PM.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

  2. #2
    thanks for posting this, 55+ , it was fascinating. thank goodness for your polish angel and for the wisdom and discretion of dr. kessler and his staff.
    glad you were treated well and had the comraderie of friends for such a
    long time away from home at a relatively young age. you done good!

  3. #3
    Hi ! The story : The Truth about Red Little Riding Hood you wrote is it based on your autobiography or is it the origin of the Little Red Riding Hood? Just curious.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by weimin View Post
    Hi ! The story : The Truth about Red Little Riding Hood you wrote is it based on your autobiography or is it the origin of the Little Red Riding Hood? Just curious.
    Now that you raise the question, it may be a blend of both. lol Where I grew up, there was a guy who raised Lobo wolves, which were a tourist attraction. Moreover, this is in the middle of more than a million acres of National and State forestland. One of the wolves escaped once, terrifying the countryide. Eventually, some of the wolves went on to star in the Walt Disney movie, "The Legend of Lobo." Of course, my high school mascot is the lobo wolf. So wolves are deeply seeded in my subconscious and were a part of my life. That part of my life may well have provided the inspiration for my story. lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

  6. #6
    What an incredible read, 55 -- thank you so much for sharing it. After reading a discussion on a nurses forum about changes they'd seen over the course of their nursing careers, I was thinking that would be a great topic to raise here, and within a day your story appears. Coolest thing that's happened all week.

    How old were you when you went to Kessler? I noted that you said you had been eating at your family's table for about a month before you entered rehab -- how much time elapsed between your accident, and when you started rehab, and how much of that time was spent in Harmot hospital? And please forgive me if you've already shared this info numerous times before, but what type of accident sent you down the long path you've rolled over the last five plus decades?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

    ~Julius Caesar


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    What an incredible read, 55 -- thank you so much for sharing it. After reading a discussion on a nurses forum about changes they'd seen over the course of their nursing careers, I was thinking that would be a great topic to raise here, and within a day your story appears. Coolest thing that's happened all week.

    How old were you when you went to Kessler? I noted that you said you had been eating at your family's table for about a month before you entered rehab -- how much time elapsed between your accident, and when you started rehab, and how much of that time was spent in Harmot hospital? And please forgive me if you've already shared this info numerous times before, but what type of accident sent you down the long path you've rolled over the last five plus decades?
    HC,
    Injured on a trampoline in gym class at age 16 (senior)

    Calendar of events

    Injury - Oct. 26, 1954 Weight = 179
    Discharge from Hamot to home - Early May 1955 Weight = 97
    Admitted to Kessler - Mid October 1955 (age 17, BD Nov. 22)
    Kessler to home - Early April 1956

    The hole sequence of my major life events has been charted out in the previous thread/post below. The story is the first entry.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=126587&page=2

    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

  8. #8
    Moderator jody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    east o the southern warren
    Posts
    8,530
    look at all the lovely crochet blankets. you don't see that anymore. I am working on one now. I get them from thrift stores often, and each family member has a special one. I really like hand made blankets.
    Last edited by jody; 03-07-2010 at 05:39 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    look at all the lovely crochet blankets. you don't see that anymore. I am woring on one now. I get them from thrift stores often, and each family member has a special one. I really like hand made blankets.
    They were hand made by some women's organization and donated. They were on all the beds. They were 20 bed dorms but quite comfy and the camaraderie was great. We all helped and learned from one another. Because the guys, staff, and my adopted family, I never had a hint of homesickness from day one. Kessler was a tremendous place and I was very fortunate to get there.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Now that you raise the question, it may be a blend of both. lol Where I grew up, there was a guy who raised Lobo wolves, which were a tourist attraction. Moreover, this is in the middle of more than a million acres of National and State forestland. One of the wolves escaped once, terrifying the countryide. Eventually, some of the wolves went on to star in the Walt Disney movie, "The Legend of Lobo." Of course, my high school mascot is the lobo wolf. So wolves are deeply seeded in my subconscious and were a part of my life. That part of my life may well have provided the inspiration for my story. lol
    That's interesting!

Similar Threads

  1. Henry H. Kessler Foundation Rebranded as Kessler Foundation
    By Max in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 11:27 AM
  2. Kessler Institute, NJ
    By Lindasue in forum New SCI
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 09:23 AM
  3. Cops, firefighters ready to roll Email Story Print Story /Canada
    By Max in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 10:45 AM
  4. 4AP Trials at Kessler
    By Jim in forum Cure
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2002, 12:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •