Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The correct way to change a SP catheter?

I have had nurses or my trained aides change them when I had a sp used 2 pairs of gloves one to pull out the cath and another to put it in. some put 2 pairs on they could just pull it of with old cath in hand and have it wrapped up inside the glove and be ready to pick up the new and insert it. I have long since had a urostomy with much less hassle and hardly no UTI's.
    Like you I was concerned about the time spent with the cath out. After a few months it was not an issue. I have had them fall out in the middle of the night and have to go to the emergency room with no problem.

Good Luck

David

You use the gloves in the insertion kit to pull out the old catheter? Sorry but I would have to think that those gloves would no longer be sterile. I was taught to take the old cath out with regular boxed gloves.
    Absolutely right. The gloves in the kit should not touch anything except items from within the kit and the new sterile catheter. Touching anything else while wearing them -- or touching the outside of the sterile gloves with hands that haven't just been washed or sanitized -- makes them no longer sterile.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Rusty- yes, that's how I was taught, but like I said also, I have often wondered that as well, which is why sometimes I do change gloves. I will def change gloves from now on. Thanks - Lisa

Thumbs up

Time to make some changes as this has been bothering me for quite some time now. Even though she waits five minutes or better it always seems to go in without any problems. I'm concerned about that as well as germs brewing around the stoma before the new one goes in.

Thanks everyone for the great info... Appreciate it.
    A good friend is someone who will come to bail you out of jail. A TRUE friend is the guy sitting next to you behind the same set of bars saying, "boy we sure f*cked up this time huh?"

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    Rusty- yes, that's how I was taught, but like I said also, I have often wondered that as well, which is why sometimes I do change gloves. I will def change gloves from now on. Thanks - Lisa
    Hey, it happens. I had a nurse use the gloves out of the kit to remove the old one. I was going to say something when I saw her but didn't; that was the only UTI I ever got (knocking wood), that's how I learned.

The gap in time, wow, that's just so out of sync with what we do and were told to do - I get everything ready and the new cath is in within 10-15 seconds max. I agree with the common sense thought of that-just-aint-right ... and would get her to put the new one in immediately. What the heckola could she do for 5 minutes after removing it anyway?!? Geez. Anyway, good luck!
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

If you remember the glove isn't sterile after pulling it out and have the sterile glove ready to insert the new one, you are fine.

Honestly when I have changed gloves during the process I can't remember which gloves I used first. But I can see where the ones in the kit would be sterile and the boxed gloves would not. Thanks so much for pointing this out.

First off make sure the nurse washes her hands real good when she first comes in your home. Your germs are different than germs brought in from outside. Then my nurse puts on non sterile gloves after washing her hands & wears them until she gets sterile. I watch my nurse extremely careful from the point she starts to get sterile (opens the catheter kit) til it's over. If she touches anything non sterile with her sterile gloves we get another kit and start over. I like to use 1 of the 3 betadine swabs to clean around the stoma while the old catheter is still in & the other 2 before the new catheter is put in. Rubbing the swab around the stoma without a catheter in makes me worry about germs being pushed inside. Even if it was washed real good with soap & water.
    But to me the # 1 most important thing is I ask her not to touch the bottom 5-6"'s of the catheter tip that goes inside the bladder. No matter what. Even if she has on sterile gloves. Just don't touch it no matter what.

Our kits only have two swabs in them, what is the third one for that a couple of you have mentioned?