Thread: Dancing on Wheels - BBC

Dancing on Wheels - BBC

Have you guys seen the latest incarnation of the dancing show here in the UK??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pnsnq

Enjoy.

Fly

It wouldn't let me open the footage, but I think I get the idea from the pics.

Its all good and everything, inclusive etc etc. BUT - from my personal experience, I have rarely felt as handicapped as I did when I took my chair on a dance floor at the office party. Something about feeling utterly disabled.

Nice. Glad the BBC is picking this up. There are different names for wheelchair dance, sometimes called "integrated dance" or "mixed abilities dance." Mark, the dance is not just with one person. You can have two or more people dancing with you. Don't even have to push your wheels in some movements, as it is a partner type of dance, depending on your style. You can do integrated dance with different genres of dance too, classical ballet, salsa, hip-hop and breakdancing. Fly, I particularly love the company Candoco in the UK who perform theater type of integrated dance. It really is cool and breaks all sterotypes: http://www.candoco.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post

Its all good and everything, inclusive etc etc. BUT - from my personal experience, I have rarely felt as handicapped as I did when I took my chair on a dance floor at the office party. Something about feeling utterly disabled.
    It's probably only allowing us Brits to open it. I guess it will be all over YouTube soon enough. And I wouldnt be surprised to see the equivalent show in the US soon enough.

Since my accident last year I have to say that I have noticed SCI folk popping up all over the place on TV. Or maybe it has been there all the time but I was oblivious to enjoying my able-bodied life. Who knows eh?

Part of me says bravo to the contestants - but the other part worries that the general public see our heroism as an inspiration - and neglect the fact that although we're doing our best day to day - we'd still like to be out of these chairs given the chance.

We dont want sympathy but it's going to be the sympathy that is going to get us the funding to get the cure(s) onto the shelf. Catch 22!

I'm going to clarify something. Before my accident I felt "disabled" when I was on the dance-floor also. At least now I have an excuse I suppose.

I'd love to see the couples dancing, I bet it does look good. It should have some of the grace of ice dancing, given how the chairs can move....

Arg, i couldn't get any UK proxy working so couldnt see it! How nasty is making up barriers on the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post

A few more drinks and you would have been the life of the party, Mark. And the dance floor
    I've danced quite a bit (not recently) in my chair, and as long as you have a pretty girl dancing with you and sitting on your lap, it's all good I've even when the mood struck me during certain songs, danced by myself in my chair...but I didn't last long, some girl always came out and joined me. Must be the gympathy factor or something.

But no, it ain't the same. I used to love dancing before my injury; not formal dancing, just freestyle. Nowadays I rarely feel the urge to dance, and rarely do. Of course I'm old and decrepit now, and the sun might have set on those glory days of old.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I tried watching it. I've got no interest in dance. I thought the disability angle might make the programme of interest to me, but no.

I tried to watch again a few days ago. I got really angry seeing an sci guy being told to stop his spasms by the dance instructor. The instructor was really annoyed, and told the guy to stop his spasms somehow. Grrr.