Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: walking using my wife

walking using my wife

i can now walk just holding my wifes hands, i can walk about 50 yards with 2 hands and about 15 to 20 yards with one hand i'm a c6 inc. injury 15 months post injury i walk every day on a walker and hand crutches. i work hard every day and hope that one day i will walk normal again. does anyone know some that walked or had good return after 15 months post.
    keep your head up!

hey gore,
    im almost 7 months out and walk almost full time.. its not how it used to be but i try to keep off my chair as much as possible. My left leg is fine but my right one has no hamstrings and weak hip flexors. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlwuY5knGNg thats me 2.5 months ago.

how is ur hand function? and how i the old b/b?
    c4 incomplete
    brown sequard syndrome

Good stuff sho! you have all the movements for a full recovery, keep at it!

Goredeisel,

Don't put a time line on recovery, everyone is different. When I was first injured I would ask the same questions and compare myself to people who I thought were similar to me and then tell my mom I met someone who was just like me and they are walking full time! It gave me hope and perhaps thats what you're looking for but in reality everyone's recovery is very different and you just need to keep doing what your doing and hope for the best.

I use to also walk like that by holding onto someones hand and/or shoulders. Its a good exercise and helps you get use to walking on crutches as well. To make walking full time you need to make sure you get some key muscles firing, such as your hip flexors and your core is very important as well. I got eff'ed due to 1 hip flexor never coming back and my core came back but not good enough. It sounds small but its a big deal when it comes to advancing from walking just for looks to walking full time and being functional. So focus on the small muscles as well because sometimes they are the most important.

If I could do it over again I would have tried to get to places that had locomats and/or intense physical training right off the bat when I got hurt. So you might want to look into that to perhaps help you in your recovery. I tried this thing called the auto-ambulator and it was horrible but I heard the locomat is much better.
    Last edited by mr_coffee; 03-01-2010 at 04:25 AM.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Quote Originally Posted by goredeisel View Post
    i can now walk just holding my wifes hands, i can walk about 50 yards with 2 hands and about 15 to 20 yards with one hand i'm a c6 inc. injury 15 months post injury i walk every day on a walker and hand crutches. i work hard every day and hope that one day i will walk normal again. does anyone know some that walked or had good return after 15 months post.
    I began walking full time with a cane 2 years post. In comparison; you are far ahead of my recovery pace.

What ever your doing, keep it up. After 4 years, I am training without the cane and this has been my greatest physical challenge so far.

It seems as though you are well on your way (-:

Thats wonderful news. Keep up the good work.

Gorediesel,
    Great job! Keep that hard work going. I'm 20 months post injury and walking with assistance like you. Mr Coffee is right, don't forget to workout your core and hip muscles. I'm back in threapy to strenghten those muscles to help me with my balance.

what is the best way to train my core for balance?
    keep your head up!

Try a balance ball, that's what my son's therapist uses. He sits on it and the therapist has him reach for items out to the side and in front of him. My son needs a spotter behind him though, he's T12.
    FAITH: Is not believing God can, but knowing he will.

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

Keep It GOING

Dear goredeisel,

This August will be 6 years post injury for my self. I have noticed when I do put in the effort and exercise, walking gate improves. I did extensive pool therapy in years 3 and 4 while noticing extreme improvement in leg strength and mobility. I have not done pool therapy in over 8 months now and have seen minor atrophy due to the inactivity.

As you are 15 months post injury now, KEEP AT IT. It is tough to be diligent but to work on those little things can some times lead to even more improvement. If you can "hold your wife's hands and walk" you are almost there with the "Dancing Thing".

Here are some youtube videos on Core exercises with a ball (I agree about Faithful1990's opinion about exercise balls):

Cheers to doing more, post injury.

I can also attest to the benefits of using an exercise ball. I've been going to an exercise ball class at my YMCA for awhile now and it has improved my walking quite a bit. I feel much more stable in my core and hips.