Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you're a proud Canadian tonight......

Excuse me ... pardon me ......sorry ....{{{{raising hand}}}} opps ... sorry {{{it's up}}}} me ..... me me me me .... I'm a proud Canadian ..... but all that moose ... and no beaver tail to be found !!

Congrats Vancouver .... you done good .... very very good !!

Obie
    ETA - oops found some http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca...r-tail-pastry/
    Last edited by Obieone; 03-01-2010 at 06:48 AM.
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I'm watching Avril Lavigne right now and it's AWESOME!!!

.. because I have her on mute with Arcade Fire going.

Anyways, my hands up up in the air, waving like they just don't care.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Christopher, it's funny that you say Arcade Fire. On my FB status, I had said that instead of Nickelback, Avril Lavigne and Simple Plan, they should have had Arcade Fire, Patrick Watson and The Tragically Hip.

It's been a really emotional day for me. I didn't think I would really care that much whether the hockey team won or lost. I was just happy they made it to the final and figured that was good enough, win or lose. I admit I was pretty cynical all along that an Olympic gold medal could really mean that much to millionaire hockey players. But when I watched them taking turns skating around the ice with that giant Canadian flag after the game, I found I had tears in my eyes. Watching the coverage of the crazy crowds in the streets in Toronto and Vancouver and elsewhere, and then watching the closing ceremonies, I had more tears. It was one of those seemingly very rare chances for the entire country to share in something and really just a great day to feel good about being Canadian. It wasn't just the hockey game today though. It was the entire Olympic experience of the past 17 days. The men's hockey gold was just the icing on the cake.

There is something else for me though about today. I watched the game with some family and friends. Which was nice. Everybody was very excited before the game and that excitement grew as the game went on. But most importantly I watched the game with my dad. He suffered a very serious stroke in January and his recovery has been very slow and very painful for him and my family. Watching the game today was the first time we have seen him be happy since he got sick. He was also interacting and engaging with people on a level we haven't seen since the stroke. Of course the hockey game alone wasn't the cause. But over the course of the afternoon, watching the game seemed to open up something that we had been waiting and hoping for. But not expecting right now. I am still trying to process that. At any rate, this entire day will stay with me for a long time. For many reasons.

As for what these Olympics meant to Canadians and the change that seem to come over the country during the games, yesterday I watched a remarkable video essay put together by Globe and Mail columnist Stephen Brunt. For me he summed it up better than anybody else has been able to. I couldn't embed the video but it's worth clicking the link and taking a look.

link to Stephen Brunt Video
    Last edited by orangejello; 03-01-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Um, can't raise hand (or arm, for that matter). I'm not a Canadian, but live within 75 miles of the border. Hugs to Canadians. I watched most of the Olympics, and it was great.

Canadian Red Hockey Shirt

Can any of my Canadian friends help me locate and buy one? A knock off is good.
    Email me if you can help.

Great show, great games, great win. Congrats, you Canadians should be proud.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Great post, OJ. It moved me in the same way I've been moved for the last two weeks. I also reposted the link to your video because I think it was a great summary of the Olympic experience. Thank you for sharing your personal experience.

I call myself a CAmerican. I live right on the border and am married to a Vancouver girl. Well, Terrace but we did live in Van.

Now comes the rush for the border. Gonna be a lineup tonight.

Great to hear that being with family and friends got you dad interacting again Amanda! It's the best "therapy" he could have got!

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello View Post
    It's been a really emotional day for me. I didn't think I would really care that much whether the hockey team won or lost. I was just happy they made it to the final and figured that was good enough, win or lose. I admit I was pretty cynical all along that an Olympic gold medal could really mean that much to millionaire hockey players. But when I watched them taking turns skating around the ice with that giant Canadian flag after the game, I found I had tears in my eyes. Watching the coverage of the crazy crowds in the streets in Toronto and Vancouver and elsewhere, and then watching the closing ceremonies, I had more tears. It was one of those seemingly very rare chances for the entire country to share in something and really just a great day to feel good about being Canadian. It wasn't just the hockey game today though. It was the entire Olympic experience of the past 17 days. The men's hockey gold was just the icing on the cake.

There is something else for me though about today. I watched the game with some family and friends. Which was nice. Everybody was very excited before the game and that excitement grew as the game went on. But most importantly I watched the game with my dad. He suffered a very serious stroke in January and his recovery has been very slow and very painful for him and my family. Watching the game today was the first time we have seen him be happy since he got sick. He was also interacting and engaging with people on a level we haven't seen since the stroke. Of course the hockey game alone wasn't the cause. But over the course of the afternoon, watching the game seemed to open up something that we had been waiting and hoping for. But not expecting right now. I am still trying to process that. At any rate, this entire day will stay with me for a long time. For many reasons.

As for what these Olympics meant to Canadians and the change that seem to come over the country during the games, yesterday I watched a remarkable video essay put together by Globe and Mail columnist Stephen Brunt. For me he summed it up better than anybody else has been able to. I couldn't embed the video but it's worth clicking the link and taking a look.

link to Stephen Brunt Video

Cheese ---> http://store.hbc.com/team-canada-jer...375181657.html

They aren't cheap @ $135! The authentic ones are $400 ...
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12