Thread: My coffee is hissing...REALLY!

My coffee is hissing...REALLY!

What is this? I'm sure there is an explanation. I use 2% milk in my coffee. Just enough to get a caramel color.

For weeks something has been floating in the coffee without affecting the taste. Small clumps about the size of a pencil point...maybe a dozen or so.

But now there is a little foam around the edge. I noticed a hissing noise and at first thought maybe the noise was the computer. I held the mug next to my ear and it was louder. Then I switched ears and heard it there.

I called a family member who has bad hearing and they heard it too. Is it the bean or something in the milk. Its a chemical reaction of some sort like yeast and sugar water, but which is the culprit?

Still it tastes ok, but my coffee has never been this loud. Should I panic?

Panic? No, probably not, but I might think about tossing that particular bag of coffee and trying a new one. I hope the things floating are nothing more than coffee gounds, but better safe than sorry.

Do you use an insulated mug?

Blog Entries
    Bingo! My first thought, had it happen once to me. The mug has a crack and the air is expanding inside, leaking out and making the hissing noise....or it's pissing off the Rattler underneath yer chair
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 02-28-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: so u'd axe me why-yi

Are you microwaving it? Always sounds like that for me when it comes out of MW.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by mingo View Post
    What is this? I'm sure there is an explanation. I use 2% milk in my coffee. Just enough to get a caramel color.

For weeks something has been floating in the coffee without affecting the taste. Small clumps about the size of a pencil point...maybe a dozen or so.

But now there is a little foam around the edge. I noticed a hissing noise and at first thought maybe the noise was the computer. I held the mug next to my ear and it was louder. Then I switched ears and heard it there.

I called a family member who has bad hearing and they heard it too. Is it the bean or something in the milk. Its a chemical reaction of some sort like yeast and sugar water, but which is the culprit?

Still it tastes ok, but my coffee has never been this loud. Should I panic?

WHen you said small clumps are floating around in there you might want to check your milk if its bad or not. I've had creamer that says its not expired but it really is after I smell it although it never effected the taste of the coffee I was curious why there were little floaty things in it. After throwing it away and buying a new thing of creamer no more floating things.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

The coffee is fresh brewed. No floating matter lately, just foam around the sides. It is in an insulated mug, I'll switch mugs tomorrow and report back since I'm fairly sure there is no rattler under or close to my chair.

Ah-HA!

My mug has a hole or crack somewhere. Good to know I need not change brands. Wondering if the mug is very hygienic though. I guess it is more an issue with cold liquids which would cool the space in between inner/outer shell.

Not a chemical reaction but thermal. (?)

Thank you gifts to all our contestants. The home game version of Name that Problem can be played at home subject to local rules and regulations.