Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ampyra?

Ampyra?

So with seeing that 4-ap is now ampyra and now FDA approved and ready for market in the near future. I started looking into cost. From what I can find, its looking like $1,000 US a month. I tried 4-ap a few years ago and was paying for it out of pocket, and I was thinking it was around $200 a month. Seems like a huge jump in price. Do insurance companies really cover stuff that high? And if it is designated for MS, will insurance cover it if your doctor writes you a sript for it and you don't have MS, but for incomplete sci?

Acorda has a help Line to assist people with these insurance questions.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Well, just an update. I have pretty minimal insurance. And I am pretty sure they wont cover this. But, I did call the ampyra call line today. They said that they wont help with cost if you don't have MS.

I can see none of us are going to be able to access ampyra ... what a disappointment.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Even those with MS are having a hard time, Davids dr. doesn't want to prescribe it for 6 months. He wants to wait to see the outcome from other drs. WTF - why do clinical trials. And then he says our ins. won't pay for new medications until they have been out for 6 months. We have an appointment next friday and hopefully get this straightened out. I have a call into insurance and Ampyra.

This had better be a time when Transverse Myelitis works to my advantage ... since it's like a 'singular episode' of MS.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I started Ampyra 3 days ago -- haven't noticed any changes yet!

After a slew of phone calls my insurance company approved it (I have a spinal cord injury) and co-pay is only $30/month.

I will post any news!

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsune View Post
    I started Ampyra 3 days ago -- haven't noticed any changes yet!

After a slew of phone calls my insurance company approved it (I have a spinal cord injury) and co-pay is only $30/month.

I will post any news!
    What insurance do you have ?

We are able to get Ampyra through Medco with Blue Cross Blue Shield. Copay is $30.
    We've been using compounded 4ap through Colorado Pharmacy. The Ampyra is really terrific compared to the compounded formula. Results have been super!

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    WTF - why do clinical trials. And then he says our ins. won't pay for new medications until they have been out for 6 months.
    MSIFE1 - It's an example of common two-tier medicine.