Thread: Finding accessible housing

Finding accessible housing

Im trying to find somewhere to live thats accesible for me.but i dont have much money and i dont know where to turn to for help.

Quote Originally Posted by quanie View Post
    Im trying to find somewhere to live thats accesible for me.but i dont have much money and i dont know where to turn to for help.

I always think that starting with your local Center for Independent Living is a good choice. They'll know your area and the types of programs that you can qualify for additional assistance if needed. Good luck!
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

I agree. Your local ILC is the best resource. If you have a low income, you should specifically ask about Section 8 housing.

Here is a directory of ILCs by state:

http://www.ilru.org/html/publication...ory/index.html

(KLD)

It has been 15 yrs + , but when I was looking for accessible housing---- Complexes that used gov't monies had to have a % of accessible units. The one I rented had 2 out of 120. Many advertise those units in the newspaper rentals. That's how I found mine. Maybe I was just lucky.

I am in the same boat here in South Jersey. A few years ago I met the Director of Disability services and he and his office has been more than helpful.

Call disability services for the state of NJ and ask for Mr. Joe Amoroso.

This is my goal, its been 2yrs 1/2 here in Pennsauken NJ.. Got call for a wheelchair access apt but got reject cause of my past criminal conviction as well credit all from over 5 yrs ago with conviction and owe no more then 3 thousand. Now im waiting for one in Camden and hoping it goes through if the list its no longer then 2yrs. I had my days in the pass where i fail in do the right thing born and raise in a county with a crime rate for murder at one time for 3yrs the highest in the country but my case was a drug possesion and i completed my time as well achieved certificates of achievement and change my ways ever since! all i want its a place wheelchair access that i can maintain my privacy geez! Bad enough it might be in Camden but being a minority i have to hope for my safety and i dont even care bout it, im just fed up and willing to move asap!
    life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com