Thread: friend in pain, spinal implant

friend in pain, spinal implant

i have a personal friend in pain from fibro. she is interested in this implant:

"spinal cord stimulation by a company called ANS (Advanced neuromodulation Systems)"

anybody heard of it? know anything? thanks!

My husband tried it and it did not work for him. They implanted a trial for 6 days to see if it was gonna help him but it never did give him any relief.

“If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

Perhaps these devices actually help SOMEONE...but not me...

[Mine is a Boston Scientific spinal cord stimulator...not the suspect brand noted above.]

...I have the misfortune of having had one installed preSCI (to help with severe arthritis, fibromyalgia, and DDD pain)...I liken the effects to that of having an internal TENS unit...a buzzing distraction @ the pain receptors, in an attempt to fool the brain into NOT perceiving the pain...after numerous epidurals, transforaminal epidurals, facet blocks, rhizotomies (both cervical and lumbar) and countless short- and long-acting opioids, I was still desperate for pain relief...

...now I am stuck with a dead unit and leads running up and down the epidural space which preclude me from having any MRI's...and most importantly, I now need a Baclofen/morphine pump (for both severe spasticity and pain) and had to search for a doctor willing to remove the stimulator while implanting the pump (all would have been avoided had the first pain management MD originally implanted a pain pump, to which to add Baclofen, for my purposes)...

...sorry for the personal rant, but somewhere in this is my warning:

**that these stimulators help very little (just try a TENS unit, as they do help a bit without invasive surgery)

**that your friend will no longer be able to benefit from any diagnostic MRI's

** that meds such as Lyrica (Neurontin, etc.) are usually at least somewhat effective against neuropathic pain...sometimes in conjunction with opioid pain meds and muscle relaxants like Zanaflex, Valium, et al

Please suggest A LOT of research and thinking to your friend, prior to submitting to any surgery...

I sincerely hope your friend finds some relief from the pain...
    Beverly

"A wild patience has taken me this far..."

I have one too and it does Not help with my pain. However, there are some people who say they do help

I'm no expert but, I have not heard of it being used to treat people with fibro. I sure would do a lot of research. I have family members with fibromyalgia and from what I understand about fibro causing pain throughout the body, I'm not sure how a spinal cord stimulator that is programmed with the use of leads to effect specific areas/limbs of the body will help? From my understanding spinal cord stimulation has usually been most effective in the lower limbs.

Has a doctor recommended this for her?

Sorry CASS, one thing I do know for sure is that Pain suxs...
    Last edited by Still Learning; 02-28-2010 at 12:07 AM.
    The IceDragon Avatar best represents my constant Freezing yet Burning Pain...not to mention all the other sensations that come with neuro pain

ty everyone. she is very active in researching things. i really appreciate your inputs agree with above. pain sucks. been doing it a long time.

anybody know if pain associated with fibro or lyme disease is called neuropathic and/or central? just for my info. i know lots of sci ppl in this pain and a couple with fibro. just wondering.
    Last edited by cass; 02-28-2010 at 02:58 AM.

I know lyme can have neurologic manifestations, including radiculopathy (which would be neuropathic pain). I think that's more common in Europe than here.

But the joint pain associated with lyme would probably not be neuropathic - it's more like arthritis.

At least that's my understanding.

Hello, I tried SCS with no success, I was very disappointed. They have people from all over you can talk to . I have tried everything , Want to talk to anyone who has tried the fentenyl pump, I wish you luck with SCS they do a test run before final implant to see if it will help , best of luck
    Tricia

sorry 1 more thing try everything before you do fusion .

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    ty everyone. she is very active in researching things. i really appreciate your inputs agree with above. pain sucks. been doing it a long time.

anybody know if pain associated with fibro or lyme disease is called neuropathic and/or central? just for my info. i know lots of sci ppl in this pain and a couple with fibro. just wondering.
    i just sw this cass, i have a boston scinetific for my cauda equina pain.
    i havent turned it on in a year.
    it does nothing for the pain.
    the doctors , salesman and boston scientific all lie as to their effectiveness.
    i was giving these high success ratio's 85% and above 98% etc.
    i called boston scientific when i realized after 6 or 10 software changes , i wanted to let them know it was a failure, as i knew the salesman would spin a tale on how great it worked.
    boston scientific told me they keep no records of success or failures.
    so how do they come up with all these high success ratio's?
    it is all bs .
    this was my second scs, i was very hesitant to have it implanted due to the disaster with the first.
    they implanted it laminectomy, since the initial attempt with the standard needle, gave no coverage, while on the table. the laminectomy also gave no decent coverage while on the table.
    yet they continued and i too cant get a mri and have this thing in my laminai
    cauda equina