Thread: 2 pc, one monitor

2 pc, one monitor

Can anyone run through with me if it can be made "possibile" to give two PC's access to hook into one monitor without unhooking each, every time u want to use the other pc.

Let's meet under the mistletoe

Unless your monitor has 2 video inputs, you will need to put a switch inline. Here is an example(pulled from a simple google search, have no idea the veracity of this company, just using it as a visual):

switch

This way you would only have to turn the knob instead of unhooking. A downside is you need 2 more video cables.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

If one input is Analog HD-15, and one is Digital DVI-D, think that will work? Seems common in monitors today? Generally the DVI input is the desired, but will analog work ok for the PC you don't use as much?
    Thanks McDuff for the info.

There are monitors with dual input and a built in switch, but since you're asking I doubt you have one. What you need is a KVM switch. Belkin seems to be the best brand for these, but there are others.

Click

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Good answer! I have a non-brand KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switch at home which connects to two PC's and to one keyboard, monitor, and mouse. It works great, both PC's do not need to be on, and it automatically switches to the PC that is on. They're not expensive, come with combination cables, and are a big space saver. Many catalogs and computer stores have these.
    Carl

thanks, really appreciate the replies!

Originally posted by Lizbv:

If one input is Analog HD-15, and one is Digital DVI-D, think that will work? Seems common in monitors today? Generally the DVI input is the desired, but will analog work ok for the PC you don't use as much?
    Thanks McDuff for the info.

Liz, I need to clarify in my muddled head

Are you wanting a full KVM or just monitor sharing?

If just monitor, then are youin the market for a new monitor or is this an existing 3way config you have? If you have 2 pc's with differing outputs(DVI/analog) and are upgrading your monitor then your easiest solution is to get one that has both inputs. You are right, this is becoming mainstream on digital monitors. This way you just pushbutton switch inputs on the monitor and you are done.

DVI->analog switch boxes are still expensive. The switch box I posted earlier and the KVM's posted by Jim don't do this. They will switch DVI->DVI or analog->analog but not what you want.

I think a little more info from you would help. Hope I haven't added to the confusion.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

If all you want to do is access the computers, you can use VNC if they are networked.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.