Thread: Who says a disabled guy can't have a swank life?

Who says a disabled guy can't have a swank life?

Cole Porter proved that wrong. After having both legs crushed and 30 operations to save them, Cole went on to write the best music of his life.

He and Linda had a style that would almost impossible to duplicate today. 3 railroad cars were required to move them when they travelled, taking themselves, their staff, china, linens, cars and select furniture, including Cole's Steinway piano.

Linda was one of the great beauties of the 20's and 30's. Crowds, alerted by the society columns, would gather outside of cafe's to watch them.

Cole wrote about this life, most notably in "You're The Top" and "Looking Down From the 90th Floor."

Here's a couple of examples.
    The music room of the Porter's Paris flat. Furniture and decor by Jean Michel Frank, Engraved Bronze wall panels by Albert Rateau.

Cole and Linda's 1940 Buick 90 Town Car, customized by Brewster.

Despite all this, Cole lived in constant pain and refusing to admit defeat, refused to use a wheelchair, instead being carried everywhere while Linda fought with the doctors who wanted to amputate.

The moral. Just as Churchill said, Never, Never never, never, never give up!

B

This is so weird you wrote this right now, Caveman, because we just did a marathon Cole Porter movie night. Our friend, Decco got to choose movies, and he picked "De-lovely" with Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd (HOT), and an old one with Cary Grant called "Nght and Day" The Grant one was schmaltzy, but I liked the other with Kline. He wrote some fine songs, and I was surprised how many I knew he words to. How the heck did I learn that???

I was born in the wrong era. That was the way to live back then.
    Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

That was back when being wealthy meant you were good at what you actually did, rather than having good PR, lackluster talent, and a willingness to prostitute yourself to the media.

Nowadays having that kind of money and showing it, no matter how honestly gained, is considered shameful and somehow criminal.

How sad.

B

Quote Originally Posted by MarkPals View Post
    "De-lovely" with Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd (HOT), and an old one with Cary Grant called "Nght and Day" The Grant one was schmaltzy, but I liked the other with Kline. He wrote some fine songs, and I was surprised how many I knew he words to. How the heck did I learn that???

I was born in the wrong era. That was the way to live back then.

I completely concur! Oh and those pictures. Maybe his progeny can design some elegant accessible homes and accessible vehicles for us. We can only dream/