Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My elbow is swollen

My elbow is swollen

I woke up to my elbow hurting, but I ignored it. I finally looked in the mirror and it's swollen; it looks like a golf ball or smaller is in it. When I touch it feels squishy/tight like there is fluid in it. It's just a little pink, but warm to touch.

Could I have twisted it or what is it. I don't really lean on that side. Waiting on a nurse to call me back. Should I go into the doctor...it's already 3pm? Will I survive until tomorrow?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Go get it checked out! Remember ck's elbow?

Seriously vem, sounds like it could be serious.
    Daniel

Hope the nurse gets back to you soon. In the meantime... stay off it!

Christopher had similar problem a while back. Check his threads here, and (ouch!) here

Yup. Sounds like bursitis. Of course, here I am, two years later, leaning on my elbw. I've got a pillow on my desk but the dry weather has created a little crack in the elbw. It's still not the same after that infection... a permanent airbag attached.

Bursitis.

He said it's not infected because it's not red and the warmth is the inflammation. Not wanting to drain it because that can introduce infection. I'm keeping it wrapped with ace bandages and letting it go down itself. They said it may even take a mnth or longer. Watch it for redness. Luckily it's not as big as ck's was. Now I lean on forearms.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

She said it's not from a wound so I doubt it's infected. Bursitis happens to athletes from overuse. November's arms are just too awesome. As is the rest of her.

I have no crack in my elbow...nothing is open. I went to the doctor this afternoon and they had me do the above.

Septic bursitis can develop from blood borne bacteria. It does not necessarily require an open wound. If the area of swelling increases, the area is hot to the touch, it starts draining, or the skin around the swelling starts to get red and hot too, or if you develop a fever, it may need to be drained, and IV antibiotics used. Keep a close eye on it. A joint infection is not something to take lightly, and can become systemic (ie, sepsis).

(KLD)

Im sorry. Its not my buisiness. I guess its the mom part of me, and that it was so hard for me to get it healed when I had a puffy elbow like that. my mistake. glad it is nothing to worry about.

I keep thinking of ck's mutation too...