Thread: Stoma looks weird, is this normal?

Stoma looks weird, is this normal?

I am about 5 months post colostomy and I am not sure if what I am seeing is normal. The stoma use to be above the skin and now the very top of the stoma is parallel with the skin almost inside me.. I am afraid the stoma is going to to be inside me and feces is getting into my abdomen. i am having bowel movements.

I Have a call in with the Dr now.

Thanks

James
    Injury date 6/10/87
    Gunshot
    C4/5 Quad

While not common, an inverted stoma can develop due to scar tissue development. I would first recommend you speak with your ostomy nurse consultant, as you may need to change to a different appliance (a convex wafer, for example). See what they say. They can advise you on whether or not you might need to have a stoma revision done.

(KLD)

As an ostomy owner, I agree with KLD. See your ET nurse (ostomy nurse) and it wouldn't hurt to have your GI surgeon aware that you are developing an inverted stoma. They are harder to manage than one that sticks out even an inch from your abdomen. Is it possible you are a candidate to manage your ostomy with irrigation? If you have a descending colostomy this may be possible. It might be worth asking your ostomy nurse and doc.
    Good luck
    arndog

thank you for your replies. You guys put my mind at ease. I have an appointment on Tuesday. The nurse said I should not worry about it as long as it is working.I will ask about the irrigation thing too.

This colostomy has been good and bad. Good for my caregivers and bad for my self esteem.

James
    Injury date 6/10/87
    Gunshot
    C4/5 Quad

mine goes in and out all the time, and changes sizes as well. it will be big right before i poop then right before i go it sucks in. i have had bad luck with my wafers, they never seem to stick that good around the stoma. and as for your self esteem ive been there man but you will get use to it though. it sure beats the old way of pooping when you have a sci that's for sure haha its the best thing ive done since i got hurt i'm glad my cousin talked me into it

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jwr18 View Post
    I am about 5 months post colostomy and I am not sure if what I am seeing is normal. The stoma use to be above the skin and now the very top of the stoma is parallel with the skin almost inside me.. I am afraid the stoma is going to to be inside me and feces is getting into my abdomen. i am having bowel movements.

I Have a call in with the Dr now.

Thanks

James
    Hello James My Fellow New Colostomate,
    I'm a newbie also. I had my transverse colostomy surgery on December 10, 2009 @ the James A. Haley VA Hospital in Tampa Florida. I feel so much better since I've had the surgery. NO more fighting w/my bowels to clean myself out. I know what you mean about self esteem but I'm slowly getting use to the idea of a bag hanging on my belly. Most of the time I don't even think about or realize it's even there. I have no plans of having it reversed even though mine is completely reversible. Were you told to do an enema once a month if your rectum is still intact like mine is? I have 10 mg bisacodyl enemas to use once a month to clean out any mucous or anything else that may accumulate in my rectum. I swear by the Cymed Microskin wafers & bags. They are so comfortable and stay on well. The wafer reminds me of saran wrap that is how thin it is & very comfortable & easy to take off when it comes time to change your appliance.

Good luck with your doctors visit. I hope you don't have to have a stoma revision in the future.

Bob S.
    New Fellow Colostomate
    as of : 12-9-09