Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loss of anonymity

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee View Post
    I like it! People at work and at social gatherings remember you (although I'm not good at names) they will come up to me and be like hey your Cory right? Then I have to act like I know who they are
    i'm good at acting also, like hey, how you doing guy
    (while in the back of my mind i'm trying to remember their name)
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I can never pull it off, and just ask them, "What was your name again? Sorry, I'm bad on names..."

Then when they tell me and I still don't remember who they are, I do what you guys do. Wing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    i'm good at acting also, like hey, how you doing guy
    (while in the back of my mind i'm trying to remember their name)
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

ha, the greatest is when I'm talking to someone over the internets and they don't remember who I am I just refer myself as "the kid in the wheelchair." and they are like OH!! I KNOW YOU!
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

or the dude that comes up to you and says, wow i know how you feel, i broke my leg and spent a week in a wheelchair, a stranger that thinks we have so much to bond with
    Yes, gods forbid that someone try to make a connection with you. Empathy sux!

C.

That is not empathy, that is irony. Everybody has a grandmother in a wheel chair...
    TH 12, 43 years post

You got that right!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I have have experienced this, but it is the other side of the problem that I dislike. It is people who come up and start talking to me about when they met me or saw me before but I am certain they did not. It is that "everyone in a wheelchair looks alike" syndrome. lol
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing View Post
    Yes, gods forbid that someone try to make a connection with you. Empathy sux!

C.
    thanks, you proved my point
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    Yes I miss that. I hate not being able to blend in or slip in late to a meeting. You can not spy on anyone or get away with anything. No diguising either. Really shot my private detective work to hell.
    Hey, ol "Ironsides" seem to make it work and that was in the early 70s! Of course that was TV.

Seriously though, I think about this all the time. There is no such thing as quiet finding a place to sit in a movie theatre, or my most uncomfortable exposure to date--having to sit in my chair on a corner sidewalk in my boxers and t-shirt in the rain at 2am almost four years ago after the fire depart had to evacuate the houses due to a gas leak. Talk about standing out! Ugh!

I use to play games with this when I was working. I would start off telling someone within the complex that I worked for X department. No clue. Then I would say something like the fact that I worked on X floor of the building. Still no clue. Finally I would just say "you know, the woman in the wheelchair" and there was always a big "Oh, of course!" Just a fact of life, unfortunately.

or the dude that comes up to you and says, wow i know how you feel, i broke my leg and spent a week in a wheelchair, a stranger that thinks we have so much to bond with
    Bruce, I am so with you on this one. I constantly seem to have people who want to share that they used a wheelchair once for a day or two because they hurt their ankle/knee/toe, whatever. The "I know how you feel" line is absurd, and while I would never do it, sometimes I just want to blurt out "hey, my butt has been plastered to this chair since I was 17!"
    In Jamaica I had a really weirdly funny thing happen. Time and time again people would come over and tell me about a diving accident there a few years before my arrival. This was after I had answered the "how did you get hurt" question. No matter who it was the story always ended with nearly exactly the same phrase, which was "he's in the ground now." On my 15 or 20 time hearing this I couldn't resist and someone started to tell me about this unfortunate guy and I cut him off and said I knew, and that "he was in the ground now."