Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Striking Burning Pain

Unfortunately, for neuropathic pain, at the moment managing/reducing it is the best people usually achieve.

Even the doctors with lots of experience just have to try what worked for some patients, and experiment, and see what works for a particular one - there's no "one size fits all" apparently. If your doctor is willing to work with you, try different things, and listen to you and keep trying - that's quite possibly a good pain management doc. Of course, if you don't like/have faith in the doc, then you may want to try a different one.

I believe for drugs such as Lyrica and Neurontin, often the full effects don't happen immediately. Personally, I'd try it at least a month before saying it didn't help.

Now, if you're in big pain, I might break my "one at a time rule" and ask them to increase the opioid at least temporarily, to try to break the pain cycle. You'd still be able to tell if the Lyrica/Neurontin/Topamax/etc. was working, if you were using a short-acting opioid - as you'd be able to tell when the opioid dose wore off how the pain was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMonte View Post
    I hear the Tomomax is good. I am looking for something that will knock me at at nite. It is just unbearable during the nite time.
    Joe I had quite a bit of success with Topomax in terms of helping with neuropathic pain. I was originally taking it as an anticonvulsant so realizing it was also helping with pain was a rather serendipitous discovery. It also helped with knocking me out at night, difficulties sleeping being another big issue for me. Unfortunately I experienced a huge weight loss while taking it (a common side effect I was told) so had to eventually discontinue because that was starting to become a health issue itself. Unfortunately it seems there always has to be a tradeoff. It's too bad because Topomax has been one of the few things so far that has helped with my pain.

I want to thank all of you for the feedback. It is a great to have such positive notes from everyone to make some good decisions and pass it along to my doctor. Thanks again , I wish you all well.

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    Unfortunately, for neuropathic pain, at the moment managing/reducing it is the best people usually achieve.

Even the doctors with lots of experience just have to try what worked for some patients, and experiment, and see what works for a particular one - there's no "one size fits all" apparently. If your doctor is willing to work with you, try different things, and listen to you and keep trying - that's quite possibly a good pain management doc. Of course, if you don't like/have faith in the doc, then you may want to try a different one.

I believe for drugs such as Lyrica and Neurontin, often the full effects don't happen immediately. Personally, I'd try it at least a month before saying it didn't help.

Now, if you're in big pain, I might break my "one at a time rule" and ask them to increase the opioid at least temporarily, to try to break the pain cycle. You'd still be able to tell if the Lyrica/Neurontin/Topamax/etc. was working, if you were using a short-acting opioid - as you'd be able to tell when the opioid dose wore off how the pain was doing.
    I agree with your last paragraph. What I would measure is, how many times per week did I need a break-through pain med. So when I was off Lyrica, I needed 14 OxyIR a week whereas on Lyrica, it only averaged out to 6 per week. (I am fabricating these numbers - your mileage may vary). So I would conclude that the Lyrica is helpful although clearly did not eliminate the problem.

c5,6 quad i take flexorill muscle relaxor 10 mg in 2 hours iam asleep. knocks my ass out and gets a full nights sleep

c5,6 quad i take flexerill 10 mg muscle relaxer knocks me out in 2 hours. sleep through the whole night

What do you think the a striking electrical shock is due to? Has your doctor given you any ideas? Sometimes I get shooting pains in my feet and legs but I tend to think that it may be due to a pinched nerve in my back. I don't know for sure that that's what it is but that's what I suspect. I find doing stretching exercises and doing meditation helps quite a bit. Also, I'm resting on a acupressure mat in the evening when I watch TV and that seems to help too. I hope you get your problem alleviated soon. Too bad you have to take drugs for it.