Thread: How do you?????

Lightbulb How do you?????

HI all
    Thanks for reading and answering my education.
    after almost 2 yr paraplegic and in and out of Dr. Hospitals I am Home for good.
    As I try to get back to a life a few things come up.
    I am getting education for a new postion in a new Job. Now comes the problem.
    I get a bowel movment every 2nd night around 6pm.
    Buut it takes the two days to get thru. As I am going back to the general public I have a question
    If out at work or store or just out is there a way to at least get rid of the solods without having to get into bed and all undressed and the like.
    I have been pretty ingenious about a lot of living things to make a public apperance easy for both me and them, execpt this one thing. All answere will be tryed and considered.
    Thank you for your help in the above issue and hope this finds you and yours at a good time in life.
    dwh

Hiyaz Welcome Home

I also have screwed up bowels , it drives me nut's
    For years i've literally tried everything and programs this and that !!!
    When I started adding brussel sprouts and spinach , brocholli to my meals it made such a big difference in my BM's for the better .

You sound like me when you say you been pretty ingenious about alot of things

What else are we to do when we only know our bodies better than any Dr or anyone in general right ?

Some of us wear adult undergarmentsto be on the safe side also it is nothing I am embaressed about because my to me living with my SCI is normal and after all the stuff i've been through I dont think embaressment is a problem .
    Good luck with your Job and all
    I am happy for you my friend
    Sincerely ;
    Gypsylady

The way I look at it is I rather be safe than sorry .

Quote Originally Posted by dwhess View Post
    HI all
    Thanks for reading and answering my education.
    after almost 2 yr paraplegic and in and out of Dr. Hospitals I am Home for good.
    As I try to get back to a life a few things come up.
    I am getting education for a new postion in a new Job. Now comes the problem.
    I get a bowel movment every 2nd night around 6pm.
    Buut it takes the two days to get thru. As I am going back to the general public I have a question
    If out at work or store or just out is there a way to at least get rid of the solods without having to get into bed and all undressed and the like.
    I have been pretty ingenious about a lot of living things to make a public apperance easy for both me and them, execpt this one thing. All answere will be tryed and considered.
    Thank you for your help in the above issue and hope this finds you and yours at a good time in life.
    dwh
    I have moved this to the Care forum.

If I understand your question and comment, you are wondering how to do your bowel care and maintain a job???

It would help if you could complete your profile so we know how long you have been injured, where you live, and what your level of SCI is.

A two day transit time for stool in someone with a SCI is pretty average. Transit times of 72 hours or more are very common vs. the 8-24 hour average in most ABs.

What are you now doing for bowel care?
    Do you use a suppository?
    Do you do digital stimulation?
    How soon after eating do you do your bowel care? It should be within 30 minutes ideally.
    Have you thought about doing bowel care in the morning instead of the evening?
    Do you do your bowel care on a commode or toilet? It sounds like from your question that you are doing it in bed. It will be faster and with better emptying if you can do it up on a padding toilet seat or commode.

Most people prefer to do bowel care at home, and get it over with so they don't have to worry about doing it in a public restroom (finding one that is accessible, taking time from their work day, worrying more about bowel accidents, etc. etc.). This is one advantage of having a routine bowel program that works for you and has good results within 45 minutes or less.

Please expand on your questions if that does not address your concerns.

(KLD)