Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to windows xp

new to windows xp

i'm awaiting delvery of a new pc. i am using win98 now. any advice for me concerning setting up or configuring xp on the first day?

i'd like info & suggestions on wndows tips & windows help websites as well.

ty, jnervijr

j,

You will notice a big difference in the way it looks. There will not be a big difference in the way it acts, until you explore it. I suggest you explore the os to your little heart's content. Before said exploration, make certain AV, firewall, and Windows are all up-to-date. Welcome to the new millenium .

A couple of things you can do to make it more familiar:

*Right-click the Start button, select properties; in Start menu tab select "Classic Start menu".

*Open Windows Explorer, select Tools from Menu bar, under general tab select "Use Windos classic folders".

I would recommend, before you add any programs and such, to go to Microsoft's website and do a Windows Update to get all the new patches, etc. Even though your computer is new, it may not have all the newest available updates. You will notice when you click on the start button a shortcut that will take you right to the update site. I also recommend that you set it to automatically update itself as the updates come out. Make sure you then put antivirus software onto your computer.

Once you get used to it, you'll love it. No more 'blue screens of death'!

I'm not really a Windows user (I may boot to my Win98 partition once a week), but everything I read says make sure you use a firewall, antivirus software, and spyware killers like Adaware and Spybot.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

After you do your critical updates from Microsoft, download Mozilla or Firefox as an alternative to Internet Explorer.

http://www.mozilla.org/

PN

2 months ago I changed all my hd and had to install windows XP,it has worked great,better than the Windows NT.

I haven't gotten firefox but my brother told me it works great.

I suggest you to get a good antivirus,you never know when those nasty bugs will hit your computer.

www.wheelsforindependence.biz

ty for all the responses.
    i understand xp has a multiple user/password protection feature. will i have to enter a password every time i turn my computer on? if so, can this feature be disabled? any keystrke saved is a big plus.

also, any advice on transferring favorites & outlookexpress contacts to my new machine? i have a iomega ext. zip drive. ty, joe

Originally posted by jnervijr:

ty for all the responses.
    i understand xp has a multiple user/password protection feature. will i have to enter a password every time i turn my computer on? if so, can this feature be disabled? any keystrke saved is a big plus.

also, any advice on transferring favorites & outlookexpress contacts to my new machine? i have a iomega ext. zip drive. ty, joe
    jnervijr, if you open your control panel and go to user accounts, you can set your account to remove the password (if you set one to start with). Then you won't have to sign in each time you open your computer - fine if no one else uses your computer. Otherwise you might want to consider having one.

As far as transferring your favorites, just put in your disk into the zip drive, then go to your browser. Go to 'file' and then down to 'import/export'. Select this and it will walk you through exporting your favorites onto the zip disk. You will do basically the same thing to import them back onto the new system.

I don't use Outlook Express, so I can't tell you how to transfer emails, but I would imagine it isn't to different since it is a Microsoft product.

If you get XP with the SP2 confiuguration I'd recommend disabling the built in firewall that comes with it. Go to Zone Labsand download Zone Alarm to use as your firewall instead. It doesn't use as much RAM and will allow you to still use P2P programs if you want.

I'd also recommend disabling the MSN Messenger service. This is not the chat program, this is a built in advertising servicing that is a pain. You'll keep getting people trying to connect to your PC on Port 80. You can disable it by doing this:
    Click [Start] [Run] and in the [Open:] box type or copy/paste the following command
    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
    Click [OK]

This website has tons of tips/tricks for XP users to as far as turning off unwanted windows services that use up RAM.
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/index.htm