Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low-quality LCD monitors bad for eyes?

Low-quality LCD monitors bad for eyes?

Hey everyone, I've been using this MAG Innovision monitor for the last 3 years (http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-3174_7-....html?tag=also) and its been really killing my eyes. Are low quality LCD monitors worse than CRT monitors? Also, what's the difference between LCD and CRT and which is better for the eyes?

My eyes just kill. And everytime I use someone's old-school monitor I notice my eyes don't hurt as much.

I've seen some prettty bad LCDs... but seriously, just "listen" to your eyes. If it's hurting ya, scrap it (ebay, etc). Go to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc & try some new ones out. Find one you're comfortable with.

Check your settings first... is the resolution maxed out & the brightness cranked up? Most LCDs look terrible if they're not run at their optimal resolution.

I'm very picky about my displays because I use them (well, one in particular) for soft-proofing my work... meaning that what I see on-screen has to match print copies rather accurately. Let me know if you need any suggestions.

Typically you get what you pay for, although good deals can be found easily if you search well enough.

i have the brightness really low but it still seems "bright" in a way...hard to describe.

Blaming your problems on the poor LCD... where's Justice?

Consider the environment in which the accused is operating. Make sure the room is appropriately lit and not too dark.

-Lewis

Theo:

I believe the CRTs are bad for your eyes. I have also used a CRT for over a decade and my eyesight was getting blurry. Recently I purchased a new PC that came with a 17 inch LCD and now I no longer have blurry vision or eye strain. I will never use a CRT again. I don't know enough about low cost LCD monitors and this article in CNet was written on February 1, 2001. One would think that the technology for LCDs has improved in the last three years. When did you purchase this 15 inch LCD monitor?

Topic: Monitors

Expert:Invisibleman
    Date:1/19/2004
    Subject:LCD vs. CRT

Refresh Rate

If you've decided to get a new CRT then it should have a sufficiently high refresh rate. This refers to how often the screen is redrawn per second. With low refresh rates you can get screen flicker and eye strain. Aim for a rate of 75 Hz for a monitor up to 17 inches in size and 85 Hz for any larger monitor. LCDs are basically flicker free so refresh rates aren't important.

LCDs consume less power, do not produce electromagnetic radiation as CRTs do, flicker less than CRTs
    http://experts.about.com/q/1521/3356921.htm

LCD Flat Screens

PN

Paul, we bought the monitor little over 3 years ago. It was one of those bargins at Best Buy. I plan on going out tomorrow to look at some newer LCD models.

Lewis, I always keep my room well lit. I truly believe the bulbs used in this poorer-made LCD is what's causing the eye pain. That's my hunch at least. Just looking for some educated opinions is all.

Theo:

Make sure there is at least a 30 day return policy in case of any problems with the purchase of a new LCD. Try to find out if it has a three year warranty that covers the backlight and it should come with DVI or HDMI. Good luck!

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,117419,00.asp

PN

Originally posted by Theophania:

Lewis, I always keep my room well lit. I truly believe the bulbs used in this poorer-made LCD is what's causing the eye pain. That's my hunch at least. Just looking for some educated opinions is all.
    Lewis has a good point that brings up another idea. Try indirect lighting in your room & see if that helps... it can be as simple as bouncing lights off walls. If you have ceiling flood lamps or bulbs in fixtures w/o shades, etc., you'll have harsher lighting, which will inevitably put more strain on your eyes, as well as adding extra glare on your screen.

Just a thought.

Originally posted by scott pruett:

Originally posted by Theophania:
    Try indirect lighting in your room & see if that helps... it can be as simple as bouncing lights off walls. If you have ceiling flood lamps or bulbs in fixtures w/o shades, etc., you'll have harsher lighting, which will inevitably put more strain on your eyes, as well as adding extra glare on your screen.
    Yep, and I also find that it is important that there is not a significant difference between the light behind the monitor and in front of it. I mostly use indirect lighting.

Educated opinions? You better watch it, you don't want to bring out the computer nerd in us! Err, too late...

It very well could be the monitor. It's Christmas you know? Time to make a list! What ever you do, do not buy a CRT monitor. I know Paul will be able to find a good deal on a decent LCD.

-Lewis

Theopania,

I noticed in the specs for yours that the dot pitch is 0.3, this is pretty poor. The better one run in the 0.26 range. This affects the resolution and clarity of the screen. Could also impact your eye strain. Get one with smaller dot pitch if you get a new one.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"