Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a new printer

Need a new printer

I took my printer in to the shop yesterday. I believe its an Epson 1270. It hasn't been printing well, and with four cats sleeping on it for the past few years, I thought it just needed to be cleaned. They called and said that they cleaned it and it's still not printing well. He wanted to know if I wanted to replace something, I don't remember what, but it would be about $90 plus labor, plus the cleaning they already did. I said how much would it cost to just buy a new one. He said $400.00, but they are on backorder (and I need it NOW!)

I can't get ahold of my one friend who knows computers, so I've come here hoping for help! Can someone recommend a really good printer? The less expensive the better, but at the same time, it has to be good. Getting a really nice digital print is very important. Thanks in advance for your help!

Alive for 34 years
    T4/5 complete for 26 years
    Mom for 7 years

I just checked out epinion.com and I'm wondering, what does dpi mean? The higher the dpi, the better???

Also, I saw some on there that were selling for thousands. I'm not looking for one of those! It has to cost less than $400.

Alive for 34 years
    Mom for 7 years

This is an inkjet printer right? Have you tried replacing the ink cartridges?

I don't know anything about this particular printer. I just have a cheap Lexmark printer for printing text documents (I paid $80 for it 4 years ago). When I don't use it for a while the ink gunks up the heads and it wont print well. I use the built in head clean function and that usually fixes it, if not I clean them with alcohol.

Eventually the ink cartridges dry up even if you don't use it. On my printer, the inkjet heads are built into the cartridge, so when you change cartridges you get new inkjet heads.

Some printers just have ink cartridges, but the heads are separate. That may be the part they're wanting to replace.

dpi = Dots Per Inch
    The more dpi, the better the quality. For printing text, you really don't need more than 600dpi. Do you print photos or just need something for text?

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

I just looked on Epson's page, the 1270 has been discontinued, and looks like the 1280 has replaced it. If you liked the 1270, get the 1280 it's the same price.

Don't let them sell you a new 1270 unless they mark down the price, but I suggest getting your printer back and checking it yourself before buying a new one. Here is the support page for the 1270, try some of the suggested solutions.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Shannon:

I did a Froogle search and I found an Epson 1280 for $294.85 after a $100 manufacturer's mail-in rebate. Unfortunately, at this time, they are out of stock, but you can click on "notify when in stock." [It didn't work for me, but, hopefully, this feature will work when you do it]

http://www.google.com/froogle?q=Epso...Search+Froogle

PN

Look for a HP 7960. It was just replaced by a newer model & the price dropped a fair bit. Combined with HP's premium photo paper, the prints are better than the Epson 1280, IMO (and I make money from photography). Can you live with a smaller format than 13x19"?

Thanks guys.

I really need the printer this week, so I'm not sure I could find the 1280 by then.

Scott, is the HP 7960 good for text as well? My main concern is printing a good photo, but I need a printer for text once in a while too.

Alive for 34 years
    Mom for 7 years

The main reason I bought the HP 7960 is because it works very well for photos and text. I print most of my photos with a professional lab in another state, but I've sold a good number of prints from the HP & I can honestly say that they rival lab quality, providing the optimal paper is used. The printer comes with two different black ink cartridges, one specifically for photos, and on you can use as general-purpose. You really can't go wrong with it unless you need prints > 8.5x11"

check out this review (it's multiple pages, btw):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/hp7960.html

Scott, I think I'm going to get the HP. What kind of paper is best?

Alive for 34 years
    Mom for 7 years

It looks like this is the best I can find: http://www.pcrush.com/prodspec.asp?i...052&refid=1161.

Just one more question! On that page, see the "recommended products"? Do I need to purchase cables? Wouldn't the printer come with that? Also, what cartridges would you recommend?

Alive for 34 years
    Mom for 7 years