Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cathing 20,000 times this decade

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    THIS is the reason I am a DIEHARD FOLEY USER. I figured a long time ago that I had better things to do than waste half my life with a finger in my ass and a dick in my hand
    I have saved over 36000 caths at the rate I was doing them. I, like Mr Coffee, am going to live my life as normal as possible, NOT limiting intake. Started Foley in 96 on my own, no doc recommendation, and started MY kind of bp within a couple months of being out of rehab. Only takes me 2 minutes or so in am and pm each day. No fuss, no mess no suppositories or meds.

Just had a complete, end-to-end checkup recently with many doc visitis and tests. Thank the Lord, I am healthy, poor and wise
    I'm with you! bag at night, plug during the day and at the gym, easy peasy

B

Doesn't use of a foley long-term permanently shrink the bladder? I thought I've seen KLD post that before, but maybe I'm mistaken.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I am absolutely disgusted that nothing better has come along for bladder management ... am I'm in my 25th year here ... started out IC, then went to crede/valsalva ... foley since August 2009.
    I totally agree and I think about this all the time. As I understand it cathing was invented by the ancient Egyptians when they learned to push hollow reeds into the bladder to drain it. Almost every time I cath I think about how the procedure is pretty much the same now as it was thousands of years ago!

Actually I think we've come a long way from the time their were more urinary tract diversions and foley were the only accepted norm as far as cathing goes.

I remember having to see our family Dr. in 1979 for something when my pediatrician was away and he was totaly wigged out about the fact that I was using ic.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    THC - Those teenage boys would surely go blind in a year at 2000 lubes per year. But they are certainly having a better time than me and my catheters.
    OxSquid - really like your analysis.
    Jody, if I could get a dime refund for recycling each cath, that would amount to 2000 dollars per decade.
    I can think of something I would buy with that. you would have to pay a redemption, like california and their tin cans. that way you get the redemption tax refunded when the product is recycled.

Okay, so the monthly bill for catheters is approximately 1000 dollars. That is 12,000 dollars a year or 120,000 dollars for this decade.
    If I live 30 more years (till 83), that will be about a third of a million dollars just to be able to pee. That is another big number to ponder along with the 60,000 catheters..... I wonder if catheters are as easy to produce as it is for the treasury to print more money?

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylady View Post
    Oddly I do know Some people who do Reuse them
    I reuse. Am I the only one?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Doesn't use of a foley long-term permanently shrink the bladder? I thought I've seen KLD post that before, but maybe I'm mistaken.
    I still hold up to 250-300 cc's. I figure it's due to the occasional kinked hose, dog/cat laying on my hose when I sleep, forgetting to drain the bag...all these add up to a suprising number of 'stretches' over time...at least that is how I figure it.

Besides, what are ya gonna use it for? When they told me I was paralyzed, I KNEW it was for life...if that CHANGES at any point in the future, I'll be happy just RUNNING to the bathroom a little more than the average Joe, haha. I mean, I seriously ain't planning on finding multiple uses for a regular bladder and then banging my head on a tree because I wore a foley whilst paralyzed.
    I think of it in the same vein as pain meds for chronic pain. You are gonna take them for life... that's what CHRONIC means(in this instance soooo, why say u r worried you will become dependent on them, DUH !

I'm NOT trying to sound like a smart ass, lol, just explaining my point, honest

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    I reuse. Am I the only one?
    When I WAS doing IC, they cost me 40 bucks for 8. You know dang WELL I was reusing! All the hassle was why I switched.