Thread: Medicaid waiver program

Medicaid waiver program

During my stay at Helen Hayes hospital I was introduced to the New York State Medicaid waiver program. Only 2 1/2 years old the nursing home transition and divergence program was administered by the New York State Department of health to focus funding for individuals with disabilities at a cap of $15,000 a year from the date of approval. It has been a godsend for me and my family as we are adding modifications to my house. The waiver program has recently approved both my elevator lift into my bedroom & the smaller lift for me to get down three stairs to my dining room. I was searching on this forum and it doesn't seem like there is any information on this certain waiver program in New York State. Please research the link if you are interested.
    http://www.health.state.ny.us/facili...n_01/index.htm
    Last edited by keithgurgui; 02-19-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Added the link

i have been using this program in Texas for several years. It is a great program if you need it.
    Last edited by reedyd; 02-20-2010 at 05:16 AM.

I was also surprised when advocating for someone in NJ that although he went to Kessler and to other nursing homes, no one told the family about the waiver program. It is terrific if you get it.

Thank you for the replies. It's so important for everyone that is newly injured that is trying to get home after rehab! You are more or less guaranteed get approved every year for your $15,000. Social workers working in rehabilitation in New York State need to know about this if they don't already!

I wish we had something like that in TN. Our waiver program is only for homemaker hours and it is a 3 to 4 year waiting list.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Unfortunately with many states having budget problems many services to persons with disabilities are targeted for budget cuts. Here in Virginia several of the Medicaid waivers are being targeted for budget cuts which will result in significant decreases in services.

We live in Mn and Dave just qualified fo the waiver program. It seemed really complicated to be honest. I don't know what other states are like, but I can be paid for caring for Dave. (as I left work because Dave can not be alone and no agency would accept him) It will also pay for 2 PT aides we have. Now if Pawlenty (our gov) doesn't pull this program......
    We had to be "poor" enough before we could apply which was scary as we had been paying out of pocket and barely getting by and would be broke soon. The program he is on is fairly new and his needs are so great there was a lot to figure out brtween county, state and the place that will administer the funds. Then we have to spend down the disabilty he had through work..........as I said, complicated. BUT it is a great thing. Our problem is finding help. People hear bowel program and they are not interested. It was hard to admit we needed help, but I am wearing out.
    I wish I could help you more with some good advice.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    We live in Mn and Dave just qualified fo the waiver program. It seemed really complicated to be honest. I don't know what other states are like, but I can be paid for caring for Dave. (as I left work because Dave can not be alone and no agency would accept him) It will also pay for 2 PT aides we have. Now if Pawlenty (our gov) doesn't pull this program......
    We had to be "poor" enough before we could apply which was scary as we had been paying out of pocket and barely getting by and would be broke soon. The program he is on is fairly new and his needs are so great there was a lot to figure out brtween county, state and the place that will administer the funds. Then we have to spend down the disabilty he had through work..........as I said, complicated. BUT it is a great thing. Our problem is finding help. People hear bowel program and they are not interested. It was hard to admit we needed help, but I am wearing out.
    I wish I could help you more with some good advice.
    Linda that's great to hear that Dave has qualified for the waiver program.
    You say that people hear bowel program & it scares them away has Dave ever thought about getting a colostomy? It is so easy to take care of you just empty the bag when it's about 1/3 full & change the bag & waver after 3 days or so. It doesn't take hours to do like when your on a bowel care program every 3 days or so depending on the persons needs. I have a colostomy & it works best for me. Hope this suggestion will help the both of you when it comes to finding aids to take care of Dave. I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us posted on how the two of you are making out.

Linda,

I have been hiring and firing my own people for 30 + years now and have always found someone that is willing to do the bowel program. Don't get discouraged and for heavens sake do not have an operation for a colostomy without some really good reason. I do not see what the advantage is? Except maybe keeping a sore clean. The people that I have been around have had problems too. There is no easy bowel program that I know of.
    We have had this debate before on here. Some SCI seem to believe that finding someone to do a bowel program is next to impossible.
    You can't bring your own negative thoughts about this into the hiring process.
    It is like everything else keep trying until you find the right person.

Hang in there and best of luck to you and yours,

David
    Last edited by reedyd; 02-21-2010 at 05:54 PM.