Thread: Alternative to EZ-Lock?

Alternative to EZ-Lock?

Is there any alternative to an EZ-Lock for securing my powerchair while I drive from the regular van seat? The EZ-Lock won't work as I need to be3 able to drive past where the floor bracket would be installed in order to fold the lift and buckle the kids carseats. My powerchair is heavy enough to not move with normal driving but in an accident it would definitely move around, possibly injured my children. I do have Q-straint type strap tiesdowns but obviously can't do them up while I'm in my chair.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Emi, maybe you can just have the EZ-lock box moved? There are other options, but they work similar to the EZ-lock, so it sounds like it's more about the position of the box than anything. They aren't difficult to have moved.

The box has to be where it is so that I can transfer to the drivers seat though... maybe I should just cross my fingers until the summer when I hope to get the van modified further so I can drive from my chair - I'm sick of planning everything around minimizing my pathetic transfers.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

I think I'm misunderstanding how your van is set up and what you're doing now. Can you not use it at all right now if you're taking the girls with you?

I have a full size Ford van with a tri-fold lift in the side door. So I enter the van, strap kids in the back seats then do a 180 and park on an angle beside my 6 way power drivers seat before transferring and driving. So the EZ Lock bracket would be on the floor behind/between the driver and passenger seat - which I where I have to enter the van. Or do my DME dealers says - I've never had it installed.
    We just taught my 6 year old to attach my Q-Straint straps so that will help when she is along.