Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are you still a "good" Christian if you only curse when angry?

seems like people need expletives. there has to be something you say when you hit your thumb with a hammer! even people that would never say conventional curse words usually use their substitutes like dang, darn, shoot.

ah fuck em...hypocrites

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieboy View Post
    I agree with the notion of there being no such thing as a "good" Christian. Cursing is natural for a lot of people. I just don't think there should be guidlelines attached to the usage of certain words. It's just odd for someone to give themselves a pass in the heat of their moment and chastise others because they "shit." Oddly, I curse less when I'm angry because I'm attempting to get the reason for my anger across as coherently as possible to whoever I'm directing it at.
    I will probably get bashed for saying this, but the bold part pretty much sums up the most loudly devout Christians I know.* Whether it is swearing or some other questionable behaviour.

*I am not slamming Christians or Christianity, but rather questioning the inconsistencies in what does and doesn't constitute "good moral behaviour"--something that seems prevalent in that faith.

Nothing like sitting in Sunday School while the teacher is telling ya what is right and what is wrong LOL...... On Sunday, he was the Sunday school teacher and Monday through Friday, he was the married CFO who was screwing the controller at the hospital where I worked.

I got a serious problem with those Southern Baptists that think the 10 commandments apply to everyone except themselves...LOL

They are always fast to point out your wrongs but don't point out theirs....LOL
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Dang Nabbit Will somebody pull my finger Please !

OOOH S--T rofl

Are you really from WV?

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    I'm with Scott on this one. It's not the particular words - it's what you are communicating. Calling somebody a boo-boo head can be a strong curse if the term conveys strong ill intent.

I'm quite comfortable sitting in a booth in a noisy late-night bar hearing my friends good naturedly use MF as an all purpose noun, adjective and verb. When our conversation is in a quiet restaurant next to a table of women and children, I expect our conversation to be respectful of the setting.
    Good Answer.

I have heard it said that if you dwiddle in it a little bit, "you might as well go all the way".
    I have read the bible 3 times, and never saw that.

I use the F word quite often. And, Shit, lots of times. I very seldom swear. or like Jody says,I seldom take the lords name in vain.
    But, that is just my opionon.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Calling somebody a boo-boo head can be a strong curse if the term conveys strong ill intent.
    Boo-boo head? That's a shitty strong curse. I would definitely aim for the jugular.

For those that curse to relieve themselves or feel better.
    You might feel better but others listening might not.
    You're projecting your misery onto others. imo
    I'm of the strong belief what comes out of your mouth is in your heart.
    When I hear someone cursing it makes me think their spirit is unhappy.
    Also when others curse around you, you tend to pick it up.
    I can't stand the word "crap." Try counting how often it's said. Alot.
    Just another word for s--t. They use it freely & I cringe every time I hear it.
    Makes me feel they're miserable. Negative.
    Also look at people's faces when they curse. They look wicked.
    I know I take things very literal.
    But it's alot more fun to be around people positive & uplifting.

Back to the original question. They're trying to pull the wool over your eyes.
    Makes no difference when, where, or why you curse. It's all the same words.
    God wants us to be a joyful spririt to the world. We are told to be Christ like.
    I can't imagine Christ cursing.

I've done it when I wasn't saved but when the Holy Spirit entered me I stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
    For those that curse to relieve themselves or feel better.
    You might feel better but others listening might not.
    You're projecting your misery onto others. imo
    I'm of the strong belief what comes out of your mouth is in your heart.
    When I hear someone cursing it makes me think their spirit is unhappy.
    Also when others curse around you, you tend to pick it up.
    I can't stand the word "crap." Try counting how often it's said. Alot.
    Just another word for s--t. They use it freely & I cringe every time I hear it.
    Makes me feel they're miserable. Negative.
    Also look at people's faces when they curse. They look wicked.
    I know I take things very literal.
    But it's alot more fun to be around people positive & uplifting.

Back to the original question. They're trying to pull the wool over your eyes.
    Makes no difference when, where, or why you curse. It's all the same words.
    God wants us to be a joyful spririt to the world. We are told to be Christ like.
    I can't imagine Christ cursing.

I've done it when I wasn't saved but when the Holy Spirit entered me I stopped.

I say "crap" all the time because I think it is better than saying shit. When I say "crap", you can almost bet I really mean shit.

Words are just that...words. Sometimes nothing works better than the F bomb, sometimes it is used so much that it loses its power. It all boils down to respect.

Mona, I love the way your faith sustains you, but if God wants us to be a joyful spirit in the world, why does he allow us to hit our thumbs with hammers? I can't imagine God sitting on his cloud marking down on his list how many times I say hell or damn.
    Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

I think that being a "good Christian" probably has more to do with controlling your anger than controlling your language.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg