Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are you still a "good" Christian if you only curse when angry?

Are you still a "good" Christian if you only curse when angry?

I have had discussions with two religious friends of mine who chastise me when I use oh-so-colorful metaphors in casual conversations. They will say "oh, you curse alot." When I remind them that I've heard them curse before, the response is "you know that's only when I'm mad." Is there an actual difference in doing so? Isn't it a bit hypocritical to straddle the fence? I'm just wondering why the supposed devout believe there is a difference in certain behaviors when they come by way of a "justified" catalyst.

Hell yes it is OK to curse when you are angry!

Sure it's ok, I personally do watch my language as much as I can though. If used to much it loses its power.
    T6 complete

cursing God is one thing, and that's wrong IMO.

saying words that are culturally inappropriate/degrading is another. words can be used for evil & scripture warns against that. additionally, scripture refers to the things that come out of one's mouth as reflective of his/her heart.

does this mean you can't say fuck, shit, damn, etc as a christian? no, but be mindful of why the words come out of your mouth.

if you turn christianity into a religion that's nothing more than adherence to a set of rules, you've missed the whole point of the gospel of Jesus, which effectively illustrates the point that there's no such thing as a "good" christian in the first place.

Scott is pretty much spot-on...

The way I was raised/taught in church is that you can't keep sinning and doing the wrong thing if you have the attitude of "It's ok because I'm already saved."

You're supposed to try to correct what you've done wrong and keep from doing it again.

swearing = some pain relief according to study

can't comment on the religious consequences,
    but here's an interesting article about a study that showed
    that cursing/swearing provides a kind of pain relief
    if done sparingly. if done frequently,
    the benefits subside because the words
    lose power for the user.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...hy-do-we-swear

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    does this mean you can't say fuck, shit, damn, etc as a christian? no, but be mindful of why the words come out of your mouth.

if you turn christianity into a religion that's nothing more than adherence to a set of rules, you've missed the whole point of the gospel of Jesus, which effectively illustrates the point that there's no such thing as a "good" christian in the first place.
    I agree with the notion of there being no such thing as a "good" Christian. Cursing is natural for a lot of people. I just don't think there should be guidlelines attached to the usage of certain words. It's just odd for someone to give themselves a pass in the heat of their moment and chastise others because they "shit." Oddly, I curse less when I'm angry because I'm attempting to get the reason for my anger across as coherently as possible to whoever I'm directing it at.

I got a gutter mouth after my accident. I don't know why. I have since put out effort to curb the habit. cursing god is not the same as oh f...k f..k .ukety .uck f..k f..kt! sometimes it just makes me feel better.

I'm with Scott on this one. It's not the particular words - it's what you are communicating. Calling somebody a boo-boo head can be a strong curse if the term conveys strong ill intent.

I'm quite comfortable sitting in a booth in a noisy late-night bar hearing my friends good naturedly use MF as an all purpose noun, adjective and verb. When our conversation is in a quiet restaurant next to a table of women and children, I expect our conversation to be respectful of the setting.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I think it has more to do with comfort than anything. People often find cursing to be abrasive. I suppose that if you are angry you are already abrasive, and cursing fits in better.
    Death and taxes