Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bruno Stow-Away Review

Bruno Stow-Away Review

Hi,

I got a Bruno Stow-Away ( http://bruno.com/stow-away.html ) and thought I would share my experience. I have a 2008 GMC Yukon, the seat is about shoulder height and getting in it was like climbing mount everest. So I have been looking for a nice way to get in the car. The stow-away is basically an external box that bolts to the frame of the car under the seat you want to get into. A seat comes out of the box and goes up and then over, allowing you to transfer into the car from more or less a level position.

I am happy with it. I am a T8/ASIA-A in fairly good shape for a 45 year old. The seat is a little narrow and by the time you get to the transfer height you are a good 3 1/2 feet off the ground so it is not for people with balance issues. I was able to transfer onto the lift and then from the lift into the car without a board easily. If your car does not have a grab handle above your shoulders it might be a little hard to get in, but most SUVs and trucks that high off the ground do. It looks like the chick in the demo video on Bruno's web site has some leg function because getting you leg into the car to transfer is not as easy as she made it look but it is not too bad. I would be reluctant to recommend this for someone who does not have full use of their upper body, I am not a great judge of what people with injury levels higher than mine can or cannot do but it seems to me the balance and arm function needed would make using this hazardous for an incomplete quad.

The other thing I like about it is there was no modification to the inside of the car. When we sell the car, we can just remove the device, replace the running board and the car is back to its original condition. It only took the guy about 3 hours to install and most of that time was running the electrical stuff.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bungholebob View Post
    what kind of climate do you live in?
    Fricking artic frozen wasteland. Minnesota.

haha i'm dealing with the same, i'm up in alberta canada lol you wouldn't be able to post some pics of the stow away would you? and is the box it sits in is it completely sealed off from the elements like road salt and ice? the reason i'm asking is i'm getting on put on my truck to replace the xl lift they put in and they tell me its not built for our climate lol

Bruno describes it as "innovative". All it is is a mini-Braun UVL. Still, it looks pretty cool. It is probably a lot less than the Turny seats.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

pics please.... i'd love to see your setup. i came across this lift just recently and now i see this thread, interesting.

has it ever scraped on anything, like a steep parking lot entrance? what do you do with your chair?

jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Notwoodward View Post
    pics please.... i'd love to see your setup. i came across this lift just recently and now i see this thread, interesting.

has it ever scraped on anything, like a steep parking lot entrance? what do you do with your chair?

jesse

Sorry, been busy and didn't see the posts on the thread. I will take some picts tomorrow. It has great ground clearance, never scraped anything. It isn't on my car, it is on my wife's Yukon so she puts the chair in the back. I would have a really hard time getting a chair in because of how high the car seat is from the ground.

t8 this is what I am looking have having installed on my new work truck which will be a Chevy quad cab 4 X 4 I am a C 6/7 but have normal hand and arm function and really function at about a T 5 level. As I will be doing alot of off the main road driving in all kinds of weather (North Dakota) I have some concern about the unit hanging up so to speak when driving off the beaten path. Also once my legs go from being bent from the chair they tend to go into extension which maybe an issue when trying to get them folded to get in the cab, I really can not tell if there is a foot rest to place my feet on when going from the chair to the cab.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Fricking artic frozen wasteland. Minnesota.
    we are feeling the same way t8burst.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    It has great ground clearance, never scraped anything. It isn't on my car, it is on my wife's Yukon so she puts the chair in the back. I would have a really hard time getting a chair in because of how high the car seat is from the ground.
    cool, that's what i was wondering. i drive a minivan regularly but have a gmc sierra as well. my wife always puts my chair in back but it takes both of us to get my arse up in the seat. this would at least solve that problem.

do you use it getting out too? i usually just let gravity take me from the truck to my chair.

thanks