Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchairs for Haiti

Wheelchairs for Haiti

I heard a wonderful announcement on the radio today, but I don't know if is just a local thing or if Cardi's furniture has stores throught the US. This Friday many of them are accepting used donated wheelchairs at their stores, which will then be shipped to Haiti. I have an old E&J stored downstairs that is in good shape despite its age, so I am glad to get it out of storage and have it go to a place where it is so desperately needed. They pay for the shipping, so the only thing I have to do it get it over there.

Wow, that's great! We have two old ones that I'd love to donate but we are in CT. Do you know of anywhere here?

No, but I'm sure you could google where stores are. I thought it was pretty great of them too. Who knows, someday I may even buy furniture from them just because they did this.

http://newsblog.projo.com/2010/02/ca...ct-wheelc.html

It looks like they are having drive collecting them tomorrow.

CiscoNJenn ..... I think Braintree Mass is the closest. Still a good 2 hour drive from you, I used to live in Bethel, and have to go through Braintree to get to visit family. Which I am doing on Saturday. Too bad the drive is only Friday, we could probably have worked something out to drop them off.

They are working with Physicians for Peace, so there may be other efforts ongoing. http://blog.physiciansforpeace.org/b...t-haiti-relief

eta, also Hanger Prosthetics .... several in CT http://www.physiciansforpeace.org/collections.html
    [QUOTE]Physicians for Peace, in partnership with Hanger Prosthetics and Orthotics, is accepting new and used prosthetics at more that 650 Hanger locations across the United States:/QUOTE]
    They may take wheelchairs too.
    Last edited by sjean423; 02-18-2010 at 01:21 AM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Good for you Eileen. It couldn't go to a more needy place.

Thats a great cause, but still if possible check locally and see if a neighbor needs one
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Hi Eileen Yea I am possibly going to try to donate some medical stuff / wheelchair to Haiti
    Thinking about it I may still have a extra walker and a pair of crutches somewhere around

I love helping people

Everyone is so special
    Sincerely
    Gypsylady

sjean423 how long ago did you live in Bethel? Small world. That would have been great if that worked. I will search if they are doing different ship dates. Thanks

We lived there from 1979 - 1987. In 2 different rental duplexes on Knollwood Drive. I was working for Perkin Elmer at the time and my hubby for Barden.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Pretty cool. I got a friend to dig out my old chair, cleaned it all up, oiled the various flex points, and soon it will be on its way to Haiti. I looked it over really well, and one of the things I had forgotten about was that it had new rear tires and new front wheels just before I stopped using it, so it was in better shape than I even thought. My guess is that getting new w/c in Haiti would be next to impossible, so at least it will be arriving with good treads.