Thread: himem.sys problem

himem.sys problem

i use windows 98 2ed. and i keep getting the message "himem.sys is mimissing" and computer stop working and i have to restart the computer and i keep getting the same message .how do i fix this?
    sometimes it goes through and i get the message
    "window protection error" you have to start the computer. and i restart the computer and sometimes it goes through and sometimes i get the same message again and again. how can i fix this?.
    and if it goes through , after a while , computer just stop working and i get the black screen. and most of the times i get blue screen and says "windows fatal error.....something and bunch of other things and i have to turn off the computer and restart it again and i go through the above problems.also, sometimes i get scamble screen with too many scramble color(lines) horizantally or vertically on screen and it stops working completely and i have to turn it off and turn it on again. i appreciate if you tell me how to fix these problems. thanks indeed

There are alot of possibilities. Do you have an anti-virus program? Do you keep it up to date and scan often? Do you check for spyware often?

Best thing to do is reinstall, might as well get XP since you're reinstalling anyway.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

jimnms, i solved the problem. one of the memory (ram) stick was bad and i replaced it and everything is working fine now.
    take care