Thread: ICE DAMMING? Who Knew

ICE DAMMING? Who Knew

Called my insurer yesterday bcuz the roof leaked because so much snow is on the roof. The Gutters are iced over. Spoke with adjuster she called back in 20 minutes flat and said your policy does not cover Ice Damming I never knew this situation to have a name. This is the first time it ever happened to me this has to be rare. I think a better chance of being hit by a nuclear bomb is more probable than this.
    Appreciate the small gains and the large ones will be ignored!!

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenJ View Post
    Called my insurer yesterday bcuz the roof leaked because so much snow is on the roof. The Gutters are iced over. Spoke with adjuster she called back in 20 minutes flat and said your policy does not cover Ice Damming I never knew this situation to have a name. This is the first time it ever happened to me this has to be rare. I think a better chance of being hit by a nuclear bomb is more probable than this.
    here in ga several yrs ago we got a lot ofsnow buildings collaspe not covered no snow
    coverage darned if you do or not its their favor

The rule of insurance is that if you are unsure of whether a specific peril is covered by your policy, it's not.

I hasten to add that if the loss is substantial and your policy does not specifically exclude coverage of that specific peril, fight like hell or you will get nothing.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I know this doesn't help you now But the next time you need a new roof, they have this rubber roofing material that can be put around the bottom 3 feet or so of the roof underneath the shingles that prevents damage from ice dams. They actually glue the shingles on the rubber roofing instead of using nails.

a lot of people in our area are having this kind of damage. Might be worth checking around the Internet to see if anybody is having success with the insurance companies.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenJ View Post
    i had hail once that damaged alot of shingles, insurancne it wasn't enough damage, my cousin stopped by and ripped a few more off, presto, it was covered
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Won't help just now, but you can have heating cables installed to melt ice off when it starts to build up.

Yep, the rubber stuff under the shingles works well.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    The rubber stuff is called Ice Guard by one manufacturer.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt