Thread: Computer break-in

Computer break-in

For months, I've suspected something was going on w/my computer. When someone suggested I change my password, I couldn't. It had already been changed, and I'm locked out. I can still send and receive email, but phone conversations have confirmed that some aren't reaching their destinations.

No viruses, my Norton is updated and runs several times a week.

How can I tell for sure if someone has broken in?

Unplug your computer from the network, run spybot and adaware.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

This same problem was presented on TechTV a month or two back. The guys on The Screen Savers suggested maybe there were "other" people in the house downloading Spyware type things. As I recall the caller said he was the computer guru of the house and did not think the kids had added anything by intent. They could only speculate it was a keylogging device or program. But they only gave it a couple minutes of air time.

That guy was speaking of a Yahoo mail account, but keylogging works on everything I can think of ... some spy programs can even take snap shots of what you are browsing and mail it elsewhere.

It must be nice to be an "item of interest." Irritating ... but nice.

Wish I had better news but, I had someone hack me and I wound up formatting my disk and starting over.

Do you have Norton Internet Security or just Antivirus? I ask because the NIS stuff logs all internet connections and can give you an insight of what is going on.

It's a tough world on the web. I have a router, Norton and he still got in. I have since turned on pswd protection in Norton and put on SP2 for XP. Also use Ad-Aware and SpySweeper, so far no reoccurences.

It sucks having more "locks" on my computer than my home. But there are more people "knocking" on my computer door.

Another product that works very well is ZoneAlarm. It is a software firewall product and has very good detection capabilities. Used it exclusively on my old computer and no hacks.

But these are all "before" the hack, try the "spy" stuff posted and hope something finds it.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

thanks everyone