Thread: ZRa or Q7?

ZRa or Q7?

I am new here, and am trying to order a new chair- I have been injured (t6 complete) for 2 years. why a new chair already? My first one doesn't fit well- someone (lots of finger pointing here) messed up, and so I get to live with it. I have enough saved up to get one now, and have narrowed it down to these two from Sportaid... My questions- Which one is lighter? I find the weight for one w/ wheels, the other is w/o wheels? Also, is the back angle of the ZRa adjustable? I really like the 4x1.5 casters I have on my chair now, but the ZRa only comes w/ 4x1. I saw a post in here about new ZRas having 1.5 width forks now... is that true? Finally, I have some nice wheels on my current chair, a GTi, will those axles work in a ZRa? I've not gotten a lot of cooperation from the local chair reps b/c I am not ordering through them (duh- they messed up my first chair) So I'm having to find this out by myself. Any feedback on how to order my own chair is also appreciated.

f you are doing this by yourself, I suggest the ZRA, it is completley adjustable while the Q7 is not. You might want to save a non adjustable chair for your next chair and once you've gotten how you want to sit dialed in.

I am using 5x1.5" aluminum softrolls on my ZRA now so yes, 4x1.5's will work on the ZRA. I suggest going with the Aluminum softrolls. If you are outdoors alot or in gravel etc., you might want to go with a larger wheel like a 5". If you are just cruising on concrete and indoors the 4's are great.

What kind of wheels are you talking about that's on your GTi now. There are some good ones on the market besides Spinergy. Roundbettys and Fusion are two. The ones on the ZRA aren't that bad. I'm sure you can get axles to fit if the ones you have now aren't proper.

You might call Tilite and speak with a rep there, possibly Domonic; He can walk you thru the measuring process.

It would really help if we knew your level of injury and if you are incomplete or other. It's very important to get the chair that is designed for your needs and not just another chair hoping it will be better than the old one. Amount of dump, width, length of seat etc. are just as important as lightness. You want a chair that is most efficient for you and how you push .

IMO, lightness is one factor in a proper chair but not the end all in choosing.

I'm sure the chair gurus will add on to this. Don't be in a big hurry, check it out thoroughly first. ToTo and SCI OTR and others have been posting some great threads on the subject.

the Q7 have COG adjustable, rear seat height adjustable up &down 1/2", backrest angle, forks angle and backrest height adjustable.

The Q7 is lighter and you can have softroll casters in the two chairs.
    That`s your own choice, me for example i will go for a Q7 before a ZRa, if the question was between a Q7 and ZR i will choice the ZR.
    Last edited by totoL1; 02-17-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: correct a word

zra for sure
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks ToTo didn't know the Q7 was adjustable. I'd still stay as far away from any Quickie product other than the Alcourt sportschair s I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    f you are doing this by yourself, I suggest the ZRA, it is completley adjustable while the Q7 is not. You might want to save a non adjustable chair for your next chair and once you've gotten how you want to sit dialed in.
    I was wondering about the back angle b/c on the order form for the ZRa I have to specify a specific angle, for the Q7 I don't.

I am using 5x1.5" aluminum softrolls on my ZRA now so yes, 4x1.5's will work on the ZRA. I suggest going with the Aluminum softrolls. If you are outdoors alot or in gravel etc., you might want to go with a larger wheel like a 5". If you are just cruising on concrete and indoors the 4's are great.
    Thanks- I have 4x1.5 softrolls now and like them for indoor/outdoor

What kind of wheels are you talking about that's on your GTi now. There are some good ones on the market besides Spinergy. Roundbettys and Fusion are two. The ones on the ZRA aren't that bad. I'm sure you can get axles to fit if the ones you have now aren't proper.
    I have some 24" Sun Fusion wheels w/ titanium axles- I was hoping to keep them since they are very light. The Quikie rep thought that TiLite used a different diameter axle than Quickie, but the PTs said they were the same, so I'm confused...
    level wise, as I said in the first post, I'm t6 complete, so I don't have much trunk, and will be getting a solid back, either J3 or Matrix.

Thanks for the feed back

ToToL1- do you know the actual weight of the ZRa w/ wheels (or the Q7 w/o wheels?)
    Why do wheelchair manufacturers make it so difficult to find the actual weights of their chairs and wheels??? If I was buying any kind of bike part, I could easily find the exact weight... wheelchairs should be the same.

ZRa transfer weight 11.5 lbs
    Q7 http://www.heliummobility.eu/es/options.asp Helium in Europe can be the electron version 9.2 lbs

Dr.Z, Back angle for me is normally around 89degrees. I'm T6/7 36 yrs in. 6'2. I use a ZRA with a14 to 14 1/2" back , 2"inch hard foam cushon with a1" wedge on right side for obliquity. It's 17x18 with a 4"dump. 5x1.5 Softrolls. 559 Spinergy LX Rightrun tires.

When comparing the differences in weight of the chairs, there is very little difference. Its the add ons that make the weight. Froglegs,anti-tip bars, armrests, they all add weight, That's one of the reasons Toto and others change the standard bolts with titanium. They also have gone thru many chairs to reach that point; more than one being adjustable. IMO whats just as important is efficiency, how the chair rools and how ergonomically correct we are sitting. With and adjustable we can make those corrections. Non-adjustable, more difficult.

One thing I'm not sure on with the Q7, is the angle of the front caster housing. They look lke they stick out too much, almost like they could "hook" fairly easily rather than glance off.

Sun Fusions are good wheels. The axles are the same in width perhaps not in length. If your Quickie Rep said that, I would be very leary of him. He should know they use the same size. It's one of the reasons I don't deal with Quickie; they either don't know or don't care. You could call tilite and give them the length of your axle and they'd be able to tell you if it's long enough. still get the standard wheels that come with the chair you order.

Have you used a hard back yet? I could never really get comfortable in one. I use a Top end webbed back on my ZRA and have found it the best so far. Roho and ADI have solid backs also.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 02-17-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Roho and ADI hard backs are the same back with different names. Roho calls it the Jetstream Pro while ADI is the one that actually manufactures the Roho back.
    The back angle on the ZRa IS definitely adjustable. It does not have ON THE FLY adjustment though where you can change the back angle with the pull of string (or however it's done). My TiLite AeroZ came with an 89* back but I changed it to be a little tighter and set my J3 back to where I wanted it. In order to change the back angle you just take out a screw on each side of the back and the screw goes back in a different hole.
    The Q7 has ON THE FLY back angle adjustability (there are 4 holes) so that you can change it on the go. The downside to this is you must "fit" in one of the pre set holes, one might be a bit too far forward, one not quite far enough forward and one too far back. The problem that SCI_OTR has mentioned is that if you adjust the back to the farthest position the chair can become unstable and you flip out.
    I would say that for quality and durability you should go with the ZRa. Quickie (Sunrise Medical) has very cheap quality chairs where TiLite has better chairs (IMO). The customer service at TiLite is AMAZING (talk with Dominic, he is a chair user himself and can lead you in the right direction) and they have a true lifetime warranty on the frame of the chair. When I had issues with my chair shortly after receiving it Dominic was able to help me and get me the stuff I needed (Spinergy had put the wrong rim strip on my chair and I had TWO popped tires in the same day ). I also took off a bunch of paint accidentally one day closing my drivers door and needed to put touch up paint on it, so I called Sportaid to order paint and TiLite sent it to me free of charge. Their customer service is great, you always speak to a HUMAN, and you get the answers you need and deserve.
    I can't speak highly enough of TiLite. If I have to do business with any wheelchair company, I would choose them over the competition any day of the week. I will definitely go back to them for my chairs in the future.
    Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!