Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canada

10 76.92%
  • Norway

3 23.08%
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Who wil win the hockey match today

That was just painful! USA gets the bye and Miller will need it! Canada gets to beat up on Germany, hopefully with Luongo in nets.

Congrats USA

It was a good game. Congrats USA. A friend orginally from Michigan watched the game with us and was insufferably smug afterwards. He gets his Canadian citizenship next month, after a long 5 year wait. Even though he will keep his US citizenship too, I told him he should enjoy this now as will have to switch his hockey allegiance. Or he won't be allowed to stay

Sweden has been my pick for the gold all along. I was hoping Canada might pick up the silver or bronze. But I am not feeling veryconfident that they will even get past Germany. Every team seems to have great goaltending, except Norway (sorry Leif, nothing personal). If it goes to a shootout, the Canadians might not be so lucky this time. If they do get past Germany, it's then Ovetchkin and the Russians in the quarter finals. Yikes

Some great games and more to come. go USA.
    oh well

That would be our gold medal game!

Seriously, one heckuva game....tons of hitting, and some crazy goalie work in both nets..back to back to back breakaways? And no goals??? Unreal....The Canadians are alive and well..with that kind of shots on goal, many are gonna find the net. If the USA medals, I would be elated! And we knocked off Canada in the Olymppics for the first ime in what....50 years??? This years tournament has proven that any one country can knock off another with tough play. The Swiss scare the hell outta me. The Slovaks canned the Russians, and the Czechs cant be ignored. Finns know how to score in the medal round....this hockey tournament has not disappointed..

Yeah, it'll probably be Luongo from here on out, just like Brodeur replaced Joseph in '02. Fleury is another option.

Sweden looked like a very complete team last night. All five players are committed to defense but transition to offense very quickly. They will be a tough team to beat down the stretch.

Graybeard, I believe team USA beat the Canadians on their way to the miracle on ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Sweden looked like a very complete team last night. All five players are committed to defense but transition to offense very quickly. They will be a tough team to beat down the stretch.

Graybeard, I believe team USA beat the Canadians on their way to the miracle on ice.
    Canada and the US never played each other in the 1980 Olympics. The hockey tournament was structured differently then. They were in different round robin divisions and Canada never made the medal round.

I only know that because I recently read a book about it

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello View Post
    Canada and the US never played each other in the 1980 Olympics. The hockey tournament was structured differently then. They were in different round robin divisions and Canada never made the medal round.

Only a Canadian would read a book about The Miracle on Ice

Last, and only I believe, Olympic win over Canada was a 2-1 victory on home ice at the 1960 Squaw Valley Games.

Quote Originally Posted by OJ
    Congrats USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by VQ
    Congrats USA.
    Thanks guys, it was a hell of a game. Without Miller, we'd have been screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by orangejello View Post

Teams were structured differently, too. When we beat the Russians, our team was composed of amateurs and college kids. Now teams can field NHL professionals. It kinds of takes away from the spirit of the Olympics, imo.

But as someone who watched the US beat the Russians on the way to beating Finland for the Gold, there have been very few moments in my life that resonate as sweetly as when we beat the Russians, the best in the world on ice. I didn't even care if we won the Gold after that. It was the middle of the Cold War; after that win, it was also the beginning of the end of the Cold War.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

That's right, those Russians in the MOI were as professional as NHLers are today. I'm sure that victory turned more American kids on to hockey than Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky ever did.

I was congratulating American fans last night as I left the building late, and they were truly surprised. Some Canadian hockey fans can be as*holes. While waiting for the doors to open for the Sweden versus Finland game, we congratulated the Kesler family as they strolled down the sidewalk past us. We even congratulated Coach Tortorella who also walked by; man is that guy short!