Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laptop?

laptop?

Having been virtually w/o compute/internet access for the past year I'm ready to throw in the towel and get a machine. Maybe.

I've been doing a little checking on what's on offer and I'm still undecided on what to get. I've got about $700 saved and am weighing my needs. I'm thinking I'll probably want to watch a lot of movies on whatever I get so the quality of the screen (it's size too, I guess) will be important. Out here in N. CA. our top electronics place for variety and low price is Fry's. They are offering a few Toshiba notebooks with what's called "PREMIUM VISION AMD Technology" for which they are charging an additional $100 -$150 and have a unit with a 17.4" screen. But is the slightly larger screen and new technology worth all that much in the long run? I tried googling the technology but get only shopping info.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

thats what I have and absolutely love the 17 in screen...good to see ya back, I hope, lol...

Hey Steve, glad to hear you're doing ok. Stick around once you get back online, you worried many here by your absence. Good luck puter shopping.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I got an Acer from the Best Buy store. I'm very happy with it. It has a 17 inch screen, not heavy, thin and, it came loaded with programs to get me on the road. Plays dvd, cd, burns, rips, etc. Only paid 349.00. I'm real happy with it. Problem with the sound reproduction in that it sounds tinny but, with a set of ear buds, works just fine. I have been able to get a lot of freeware loaded on it. It has plenty of space available to use it for many things so far.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Steve: Unless you are a gamer, I would get the laptop with the integrated graphics. Provide us with a link so we can look at the specs.

WB!
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

happy hunting let us know how you do
    LET A SMILE BE YOUR UMBRELLA

my suggestion if you in low budget then buy for Toshiba L510, its only core 2 duo, but has 320 size of hard disk, you can put a lot of movies inside

why toshiba? bcause their brand so strong! affordable laptop

anyway, happy hunting

Quote Originally Posted by dianapus View Post
    my suggestion if you in low budget then buy for Toshiba L510, its only core 2 duo, but has 320 size of hard disk, you can put a lot of movies inside

why toshiba? bcause their brand so strong! affordable laptop

anyway, happy hunting
    affordable and a big screen w touted technology.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I know you wanted the 17 inch display but this 15 inch widescreen seems okay. It also has the Vision Technology from AMD.

Compaq CQ61-420US15.6" notebook featuring AMD M320 Processor with 3GB memory and 250GB Hard drive
    $30.00 Rebate

Limit 1 per Household.
    (when purchased between 02/19/2010 and 02/25/2010)

AMD Athlon X2 M320, 15.6 , 3GB
    Price: $ 464.99
    Instant Savings: $35.00
    After Rebate: $399.99

SPECIFICATIONS:

Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor: VISION Technology from AMD with AMD Athlon™ II Dual-Core Processor for Notebook PCs M320, 2.1GHz, 1MB L2 Cache

Memory: 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 DIMM), Max supported =4096MB

Video Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4200 Graphics with 128MB Display Cache Memory with up to 1534MB total graphics memory

Hard Drive: 250GB (7200RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)

Multimedia Drive: LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Display: 15.6" Diagonal High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1366x768)

Network Card: Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

Wireless Option: Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n WLAN

Digital Media: 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards

Audio: Altec Lansing

Fax/Modem: High speed 56k modem

External Notebook Ports: 3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0, 1 Headphone out, 1 microphone-in, 1 VGA (15-pin), 1 RJ-11 (modem), 1 RJ -45 (LAN)

BATTERY: 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery

http://www.frys.com/product/6131559
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Think about other options you have for movie viewing. If you have a good monitor, you can plug that into your laptop and use it. That's what I do when I am at my desk. Also, if you have a relatively new TV, you may be able to connect with it and use it for movies, etc. If either of those apply, you may not need to give priority to the laptop screen.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/