Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foley Cath; Fr. size.

Foley Cath; Fr. size.

Hi,,,,,,

RE; Foley Caths / ''Urethral'' Indwelling Caths.

For 25+yrs I used an external cath to manage my reflex voiding bladder. About 1 year ago, I had some complications thaty resulted in me having to use an indwelling cath. I go to my uro to get it changed every 4-6 weeks. Every other change a friend does at my home; Dr gives me an insertion kit and cath from the office.

He now gave me a script for insertion + irrigation kits, caths, saline. This cath I use is a regular 18fr. They do not use any specific brand.

Here is what they have used on me: [ all 5cc balloon.]
    ---Bard--Bardex Foley Cath; ribbedd balloon 'Lubricious Coated'.
    ---Rusch--'Silkola Tex Rusch Gold'.

---Alegiance--Silicone Coated.

Question: My DME asked me what brand I prefer. [ Unlike ext caths.], I do not know which Brand/s or type is better than the other,,,,,??
    Any and all information from users and the Nurses will help very much.

Thank you in advance,,,,,,,,,

Freej

Foley Cath; Fr. size.

Nurses, anyone who knows,

Does the size, Fr, determine if a Urethral Indwelling cath will leak. I currently use a 18fr, and would like to go to a 16fr.

Will going to a smaller size mean that it is going to leak,,,,,??

Thanks,
    Free

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I asked my supplier and they gave me some samples in different sizes to experiment with.

Blog Entries

DOVER Silver Coated 100% Silicone Foley Catheters

I have used foleys over 13 years. Recently I learned about silver 'coated' caths for infection control. I used latex caths all those years and so I used silver coated latex caths. I just ordered a DIFFERENT type of method of impregnation that is greatly more efficient. It is a silicone cath, seems latex releases proteins that bind with silver negating the effect.
    The silicone caths release 100% of their silver AND last longer. Here is where I get my supplies http://tinyurl.com/yawrzpk They cost 5x what I have paid for regular latex foleys but I feel it will be worth it in the long run.

The lubricious coated ones are the bomb, saves ya from 'sticking' when they dry. The silver latex were lubricious also, just add water...no ky needed to insert those.
    Also, I change mine about every 4 weeks, seems if I go longer, there is encrustation on the end.

I've only used foley catheters after surgeries and during surgery recovery. The one that they used on me last time was Rochester 100% silicone foley catheter. I am allergic to latex, so the University of WA Medical Center thought this one would be good for me.

I found this one to be WAY more comfortable than the Bard ones that most hospitals use after surgery. I didn't get nearly as many bladder spasms and my body didn't seem to reject the 100% silicone ones as quickly.
    Hope this helps!!! Maybe your medical supplier can send you samples to try and see what one you like.

Jessie
    (spastic paraparesis and L-4 SCI)

Avoid latex unless it is silicone or teflon coated.

Rarely is there any justification for using larger than a 16 Fr. for an indwelling urethral catheter in either adult men or women. The larger the size, the more irritation and risks of strictures. Too small, and it will not drain well. If you have leakage with a 16 Fr., you likely need to treat it with anticholenergic medications to treat bladder spasm, not go with a larger catheter. Similarly, a 5 cc. balloon filled with 10 cc. of water should be good. Increasing the balloon size does not prevent leakage and only irritates your bladder more.

(KLD)

Thanks for the reply's.

KLD,,,,

Re; Filling a 5cc balloon to 10cc; Can you clarify.

1--Yes, it is OK to fill a 5cc ''up to'' 10cc,,,,, What would be the purpose, or be gained by doing this,,,,,,,,,??

2--Best to use silicone/teflon coated caths,,,,, What about the ''lubriscious'' caths [ What is lubriscious. ],,,,,?

3--Do you think if [ I want to. ] I go down to a 16fr I'll get leakage until my urethra tightens up from being stretched by the 18fr,,,,,?

Thank you,,,,
    Freej

Rarely is the urethra stretched out from using one size of catheter larger unless you have done this for a number of years before trying to so smaller.

Lubricious = hydrophilic (ie, precoated with water-activated lubricant).

I know it sounds crazy, but the 5 cc. balloon is designed to be inflated with 10 cc. of solution. If you inflate it with less, there is significant risk of the catheter falling out or getting easily pulled out by mistake.

(KLD)

Maybe a silly question, but by indwelling do you mean suprapubic?
    Dave uses a 24 FR. They said initially at Craig Hospital was because he at so much sediment.So we have continued to use it changing monthly and seems to work fine, just seems big.
    We put 10cc in the stringe.
    Today when I changed it it there seemed to be a tiny bit of resistance a couple inches in when inserting, but then slipped in fine and drained normal.
    We were back in Nov for re eval and was fine then.
    Dave has been fortunate to avoid UTIs.
    Last edited by LindaT; 02-24-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Indwelling catheters remain in place all the time (as opposed to intermittent catheters). There are two types: urethral and suprapubic. Some people call urethral indwelling catheters a Foley, but that is a type of catheter, not a location or method of use. Foley catheters are the most common type of catheters used for either urethral or suprapubic indwelling catheters.

It is common for suprapubic (SP) catheters to be used in larger sizes (22-26 Fr.) than urethral catheters. A smaller size of urethral catheter is used because larger sizes can damage the urethra over time.

Catheter clogging or leakage should not be treated by just putting in larger catheters (which can just irritate the bladder more and cause more bladder spasm), but instead by the regular instillation of a solution like Renacidin for the latter, and use of anticholenergic medications for the former.

(KLD)