Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/15/10 replacing hard drive..is it easy?

1/15/10 replacing hard drive..is it easy?

my H.P. laptop died on me needs a new hard drive
    is this something i can do myself??
    thanks in advance
    LET A SMILE BE YOUR UMBRELLA

Quote Originally Posted by foxyladi14 View Post
    my H.P. laptop died on me needs a new hard drive
    is this something i can do myself??
    thanks in advance
    In most cases you unscrew a couple screws, slide out the old one, take the drive out of the bracket, put the new drive in the bracket, slide back in, replace screws. Done! Easy peasy.

depends on how old the laptop is.
    old ones are usually pretty hard.
    some newer laptops have more user serviceable harddrives.
    external hd may work in a pinch,there are os that will boot from a thumbdrive
    cauda equina

you can start here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00649950 im sure if you google your model you can find more specific instructions, its not hard.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

thanks for the help.

Blog Entries
    THEN you will need to partition and format the drive to prepare for the operating system install followed by software, etc.
    IF and a BIG if here.. you have RESTORE/INSTALL cd/dvd from HP, use them to reinstall your laptop to it's original condition. It does the format and partition work, os and software install for you. Years ago, all mfg shipped their pewTerZ wiff said needed cds/dvds. NOT so now. You need to MAKE copies of the data necessary, which is found on hidden partitions...this is not told to you either. You can ORDER and pay for these if you didn't make them, OR ask someone to make them for you with the same laptop.

Do you have restore capability or do u have separate Microsoft OS cd and individual cds of ur software?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    depends on how old the laptop is.
    old ones are usually pretty hard.
    some newer laptops have more user serviceable harddrives.
    external hd may work in a pinch,there are os that will boot from a thumbdrive
    and the older it is, the LESS likey it wiil boot from usb, without a usb boot cd to help it out. Being her primary drive, she should replace it. It is something she can do, if so motivated.

I have a new hard drive coming be here in a few days.
    now that other stuff partitioning ect really confuses me.
    no recovery disks for this machine.have them for a h.p. desk top.
    would those work??

Do not know if you can use cd's from desk top but you can probably order recovery cd's for your laptop from HP if it is not to old...

oh I so feel for you! I have an HP Pavilion dv9000, bought in April of 2007. Have had nothing but problems with it. In August my hard drive went on my Laptop. Cost me $162 for new drive and professional installation. Then a month later my motherboard went on it. Lucky for me, it was still under warranty. Something I did not know at the time my hard drive went or that would have been covered too.

I hate HP tech support. None of them speak English. I pulled my computer out after the motherboard was put in and they didnt do anything to the software after putting the motherboard in. A half hour with tech support I finally hung up and ran my recovery disks. I guess it is like having a new computer now. It really sucked having to download three years of updates from windows and and other software updates. It took 6 hours , plus the 2 hours for the recovery disks to run.

Your desk top disks wont work on the laptap, they have different drivers etc. You have to have the recovery disks specific to your laptop.