Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: What to do if your dog gets poisoned...

  1. #11
    this whole chocolate thing mystery to me. as a child, had a dog eat whole huge hershey bar (one of those 8 inch types). nobody panicked, dog admonished, no sickness. my 2 dogs i have now have eaten chocolate (they steal it from kitchen). no problems. so don't quite get the dog/chocolate thing.

    and, yes, googled it. never had a dog sick, let alone die, from chocolate.

  2. #12
    I was just going to suggest peroxide until I read that is what your vet recommended. I gave that to one of the dogs I had years ago. I have cats, and fortunately they don't eat or get in to nearly as many crazy things as the dogs would

  3. #13
    my cats get into all kinds of stuff! one would eat my dinner if i let her! not gonna get into nasty mice!

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    this whole chocolate thing mystery to me. as a child, had a dog eat whole huge hershey bar (one of those 8 inch types). nobody panicked, dog admonished, no sickness. my 2 dogs i have now have eaten chocolate (they steal it from kitchen). no problems. so don't quite get the dog/chocolate thing.

    and, yes, googled it. never had a dog sick, let alone die, from chocolate.
    It depends upon the size of the dog, and the quantity of chocolate, plus how dark it is. Hershey's is milk chocolate, not as much in it. A dog has to eat quite a lot of chocolate for his size, for it to be a problem. When in doubt, of course, ask a vet.

    My bad dog (now gone sadly), who was a big dog, stole those giant bars of chocolate. The dog was fine, but the floor... oh my what a cleanup job!

    Re. the prednisone (to the other poster) it's necessary some times - but sure can have side effects. Often, however, there is no alternative. Some dogs do become more aggressive - but not necessarily crazy. Drinking and eating is more common for the doggies.

  5. #15
    i'm talking dachshund. she loved chocolate. all kinds. never was sick from it. also, beagle, cocker, lab, elkhound, etc. think it's bit overblown. not one dog ever got sick. btw, dark chocolate all i've had in house for yrs. oh, and ice cubes too. no probs.

    hersheys makes dark choc too and semi-sweet. but i buy dove's or better.

    my dachshund on pred for yrs, lung thing. guess i've been lucky. no water issues but it did eventually catch up to her, around age 13. cancer.
    Last edited by cass; 02-16-2010 at 10:16 AM.

  6. #16
    Well true, Hershey's does make dark - sorry for my assumption. I like the good dark chocolate stuff too There is a calculation, how much chocolate for how big a dog, but I don't have it at hand at present. It really is quite a lot though, before it's actually dangerous (to anything besides the rug).

    I didn't mean any offense - ice cubes often would be no problem, just could on occasion. And some are harder than others - depends how big they are, and some freezers seem to make them more concrete than others.

  7. #17
    yup! that's why i think bit over blown! but just my experience!

  8. #18
    You're right - it does sound like two bites and the dog drops dead. The flip side though - a tiny dog and a big bunch of chocolates, it can kill them. So I guess the idea is for people to call the vet and check it out - see if they likely ate enough to be dangerous or not. Hopefully getting a vet who'll calculate it, and tell them if they need to come in or not - and not just automatically bring them in and get the fee.

    Did you know, btw (I was surprised to find out) that grapes and raisins are actually poisonous to dogs? In addition to onions...

    http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

  9. #19
    interesting. my dachsie loved onions!

  10. #20
    And I've known some who loved grapes. Of course, it's all dose dependant - and it seems individual animals have different tolerances.

    Here's an article on the onions - they cause a form of anemia.

    http://jlhweb.net/Boxermap/onions.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •